_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Friulmodel Tracks
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hi all. I'm building a Meng Renault ft 17 and got Friulmodel tracks to complement it. The tracks are two-piece white metal and have to be joined where the upper portion (the section that rides between the rollers and road wheels and where the tracks are linked) meets the tread. I used conventional CA glue to cement them. When it came time to insert the track pins to join the links, the cement didn't hold and the sections came apart. The CA I used obviously doesn't work on white metal; soldering melts the metal. Any suggestions on how to join these parts and keep my sanity at the same time?
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC
I think that you may be going about it the wrong way.
From the pic I saw of this set, the two pieces are a plate with two "rails" on it, and a little cylindrical bit that two plates would hinge around. It looks to me that the cylindrical bit should be free to move on the wire pin, same as the plates. The CA would just secure the wire in place to keep it from sliding out the sides. You could probably help it stay in by curving the wire very slightly.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'm actually referring to where the plate and the rails join. When I tried pinning two treads together, the rails and the plates separated where they were glued. I didn't apply a whole lot of pressure when inserting the pin, either. I never got to the point of applying any cement to the pin.
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 02:43 AM UTC
Sounds like you ran into a defective link (or several).
In that case, you could probably try to rough up the mating surfaces then use something like J-B Weld to fix things back together. It's a really good epoxy intended for high-stress applications.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks much. I'll try that. Otherwise I'll have wasted $30 or whatever the set cost, and that doesn't sit too well with my wallet.
 _GOTOTOP