_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
m8a1 cargo carrier parts
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hi All
I'm looking for the two rear idler wheels from this vehicle for a project I'm working on. I believe Nitto and Modelcraft ex Nitto copy made it. If you have them in your part box, please email me or leave message on this post.
Cheers
mech
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Mech ,
Catching up on you--(-see personal mail).
Should have extra kit in loft-----check in with me (e-m)
and lets see -"whats -a doin"-
barv
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:16 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Hi Mech. I am also building this vehicle, and in the process have learned a few things about it. First, if you are looking for just the rear idler wheels you can use these pieces from the M-41 Bulldog kit since they use the same running gear (only extended). So, if you have one of these kits lying about, that might speed up the process. And since these kits are reasonably cheap, it won't hurt the pocketbook too much.

Now, to barv. I am looking for an additional M8A1 kit. If Mech takes my advice and simply uses the M-41 parts, I would be interested in a trade(?). That is of course if Mech doesn't want the whole kit in the first place........
let me know.

Tread.

Oh, and Mech. If you don't already know, the kit supplied tracks with that M8A1 kit are bogus. They are not even slightly accurate, so replacing them with M-41 tracks (you'll actually need 3 tracks total) is highly recommended.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
The M8a1 was based on the drive and running gear of the M42. So those idlers would also do the trick. In fact they would be better if you could get the AFV club running gear, idler and sprockets as the detail would be better.
The kit tracks need replacing. They are basically rubbish. If you use vinyl tracks, you need 1.25 lengths per side. If you use AFV Club indy tracks .. one set works because of the extras.

I know because of a costly mistake. I bought 2 sets of indy tracks and only needed one set. If youŽd like to make a trade offer for the extra set, let me know.

The AFV Club tracks are excellent. they already come cut and cleaned, so you just have to assemble. The rubber pads are on a tree though ... one clean snip and these are ready. They need to be superglued in place though ... i tried a test with cement and they easily come off. The tracks assemble in the entire length without cement. True working tracks. I placed them on and then cemented for security.
The sprocket needs some modifications to fit the the AFV Club track as well.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Howdy Frank,

I also went out and purchased a set of AFV M-41 rubberband replacement tracks (T91E3) for my MSG project. I had toyed with the idea of using just the one set and hiding the gap with some type of draped stowage or some such but, if you have an extra set you're not using I would be interested in a trade.........whatcha need?

Tread.

Oh.....and if anyone needs the kit supplied set of cargo 'gates', just give a yell. IMHO the kit parts are mediocre at best, (the woodgrain detail for example is raised, while at the same time each and every 'gate' has a surprisingly deep crater dead in the middle of them), so I have been scratchbuilding a complete replacement set out of Basswood strips, styrene stock and brass flat stock.
I also plan to chip and damage my boards up anyway......
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
hello
Thank you every one that replied and sorry for waiting so long to reply.
The reason I need the rear idelers from the M8A1 is to use it on the M44 that I am scratch building. I should have some pictures posted in my web page that my son set up for me by the week end. If you want to see pictures of the start of the scratch building of the M44 they are in my gallery.
Thank you all
Ralph
 _GOTOTOP