_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Aztek Cleaning Station
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hello Everybody,
Well I just recieved my Aztek 4709 airbrush set...had a couple questions for anybody who has one. 1.) Is the cleaning station worth the money? It just seems to be a jar that you spray into...2.) what type of cleaning solution do you use? I know that testors has their own line of cleaners, but is this just regular paint thinner? Is it safe to use mineral spirits for shooting through the airbrush?

Thanks,
Sean
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
SonOfaVet. A while back I had a problem with my Aztek clogging up. I contacted Testors and they told me that the type of platic the nozzels were made from could be cleaned by just about any solvent. You should have no problem with mineral spirits. I haven't used the Cleaning Station and from what I've seen I don't realy think it's worth the money.

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
Ok thanks for the input HalfYank, I figured the cleaning station was just another attempt at stuff I could do with out, as well as their own brand of exspensive cleaning solution.
Thanks again,
Sean
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 03:20 AM UTC
I've got a cleaning station but its a bit of a waste and a pain to keep taking the A/b in and out to keep cleaning it,
I now spray the old paint/ cleaners into an old plastic milk container they are free and you can put the lid on it when your finished with it to keep the fumes at bay throw it once your done and get another
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
The only thing I ever did with the cleaning station was keep my spare tips and cleaning tools in it.
Pretty useless if you ask me.

Shaun
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
I have the cleaning station and I use it a lot. I have a very small hobby room and the Cleaning station keeps the spraying fumes out when cleaning the brush. I agree that it is way too expensive, but I use it a lot and I'm most happy with it.

Just my two cents.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the cleaning station and I use it a lot. I have a very small hobby room and the Cleaning station keeps the spraying fumes out when cleaning the brush. I agree that it is way too expensive, but I use it a lot and I'm most happy with it.

Just my two cents.

Same here.
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
I have to say the comments I have seen about the cleaning station are correct. The only good thing about it is it does keep the fumes out of the air fairly well. A cheap version of this could be easily made by taking a can with a plastic snap on lid (like a coffee can for example). Punch a hole in the center of the plastic lid big enough for your airbrush tip to fit into tightly. Next punch a few holes around the outer edge of the plastic lid, on the top. These will be where the air pressure is vented out. Next cover those holes with something you can use for a filter (a few layers of papertowel for example). This will do roughly the same thing as the cleaning station. Hoe this helps!

As far as the Aztec airbrush goes, I have two different models of it and love it.

Don
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thanks for all the input guys, seems that the cleaning station is best for specialized areas where you cant have alot of spraying. Fortunately I have the basement so I think I'll just try the milk jug or coffee can idea.

Thanks Again Everybody,
Sean
 _GOTOTOP