_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
What is the lifespan of paint?
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:17 AM UTC
Dear all, I would like to ask for acrylic/enamel paint, how long can I store them for? I am asking this because I have to leave this hobby for 1 or 2 year. And I have already stocked quite a lot of various paint (Mostly unused yet) I would be sad If I come back two years later and found out all of the paint are "expired". Could anyone kindly give me some advise please? Thank you!
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:00 AM UTC
1 to 2 years should be just fine, so long as the lids are on tight. I would suggest, if possible store them in a cool dark area. I have some tins of Humbrol enamels that are at least 40 years old are still usable although they do require a lot of mixing.

cheers
David
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:40 AM UTC
The Acrilycs life is shorter then enamel but 1-2 year is not a problem usualy,i have some Humbrol enamel from the '80 and is still ok,important like David say clean and tight the lids,and store in a dark and cool place,some time if you can give a good shake
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
Agree about Humbrol enamel, they lasted well over 20 years.

As for acrylics, I have Vallejo bottles a few years old and still fine, however others from some 15 years ago were too thick. A jar of Tamiya white over 15 years was unusable also, while others with 8 years are ok.

Just my experience.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:24 PM UTC
DO NOT store somewhere That there is a chance of frost as that will kill your paints. It also helps to keep the paints upside down IE lid down as it helps prevents air from getting at the paint.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:33 PM UTC
I have Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics that are going on 17 years now and are just fine.
Just make sure you have a decent seal when your close the bottle.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 05:01 PM UTC
I would not recommend storing your paints upside down. They are a pita to mix, after sitting for a while. I find laying some seran wrap over the top, but under the cap extends paint life. Also, you can add a couple of bbs to each bottle. They help keep the paint from settling, if you shake it every so often.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:05 PM UTC
I have many Tamiya acrylic paints from the beginning of the 90's and are like new.

I have many Vallejo's paints from the beginning of the 2000's and don't behave in any strange way.

I have some Humbrol paints that are older than me (I will be 39 this year) and also don't behave in any strange way.

The trick is making sure they are well closed and you clean the necks before closing them.
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:41 PM UTC
Thank you so much for everyone's advises, very helpful for me, really appreciated. I will make sure the lids of all paints are tightly closed and well stored in my wardrobe.
 _GOTOTOP