_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Meng Mk V shape issue?
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 170 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi all,
I've been looking at Meng's Mk V and I noticed that the shape of the armor just below and to the front of the sponson is angled. The area where the wheel axles protrude at the bottom. Every picture I've seen shows this as a continuous curve, not two separate angles. Is the Meng kit inaccurate in this regard, or were some Mk V tanks built this way?
Jaberwocky61
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
It looks the same as the MKV at Bovi going by images on line of that one so I assume they based it on that.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC
I've looked at the Bovington pictures and it looks like it's a smooth, continuous curve, not two angles. Not sure, but Meng's kit just doesn't look right to me.
Jaberwocky61
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 11:23 PM UTC
Ah I see what you mean now, the bottom edges of the hull plates. Yes thats odd. I'm sure you know anyway but the MKV was based on the MKIV hull mainly due to there being so many already in production at the time the V was designed so it made sense to use those hulls. The IV was definately curved. I just looked at the Takom V and thats curved as is theie IV which I just built. I'm not aware of any design changes on the V later in production but its certainly not impossible. Perhaps one of the ones in Russia maybe as Meng must have got that details from somewhere.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
I'm glad I'm not the only seeing it! Lol I'm building the Takom Mk V right now (nice kit, don't like the separate axles though!) and it's definitely curved. I just find it odd that Meng's has the two distinct angles. I can't seem to find any pictures of a IV or V like that! It's very strange!
Jaberwocky61
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
Pretty sure the IV never did. Maybe late V's might as it would be simpler to manufacture. Curves are more labour intensive. But as you say no pics so total guess on my part.
Did you get the Takon click together tracks? Hope so
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Just a note but the Meng Mk V was measured and designed based on the Mk V at Bovington with assistance from the museum staff. The 'angle' is curved not a set angle as though the metal was bent as are all the angles around the track run on their Mk V, this is based looking at the kit parts in my hand.

Not saying Meng has not made a mistake but I'll hold judgement until I see a photo. Photos of the Russian Mk V show these angles.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:53 AM UTC
I did get the click together tracks and they are awesome!! I got their Mk IV Female with the regular tracks and there's no way I'm putting those together!!
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
I would think that if it's measured off of the Bovington example, it is accurate. I'm just having a heck of a time finding any pictures with this area showing two distinct angles. Even the Bovington pictures I've found appear to be a continuous curve. I suppose I'm letting this bother me too much!!
 _GOTOTOP