_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Fiberglass mesh and styrene?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
In an upcoming build, I've tasked myself with building a large model (Revell B-29 1/48 scale) to be displayed in an unnatural angle because I don't have a flat surface to hold her that is large enough but isn't claimed by SWMBO.
I will display her in a very deep, home-made picture frame anging on a wall. To bear the weight, the landing gear will have to be replaced by scratch-built metal gear that will bolt to the base. At the top end, the gear will be screwed into nuts which will be soldered to sheet brass. The sheet brass will be attached to the inner wing surfaces, first with CA, and then with a back-up.
One option I have is to stretch sprue and drape it over the brass so that both ends of the sprue rest on styrene. Then I can paint it with regular model glue. I imagine this method will be very tedious and time consuming.
I have some fiberglass mesh laying around, but no resin. It occurred to me to use a fiberglass repair kit becase the mesh can be made to fit easily once impregnated with resin.
However, googling styrene and fiberglass resin, I find that the two don't make a very strong bond and can't handle shear pressure well.
Does anyone know of an easily accesible material which will work well with the fiberglass mesh but won't dissolve the styrene? Or maybe someone has an idea I haven't considered? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you for reading and pondering,

Gary
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 04:00 PM UTC
Love the idea of wall hanging shadow box display case.

re attaching multi-media parts to styrene surfaces - 5 minute Epoxy to the rescue. just rough up the surface of the plastic a little.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just rough up the surface of the plastic a little.

You can do the same and use the fiberglass cloth/resin. Fiberglass resin is basically the same as the 5-minute epoxy, it just has a longer cure time. As long as the surface is roughed-up to allow something for the resin to bight onto, you will be fine.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. Fiberglass resin is really no fun to work with, nor is waiting for it to cure. I think I have a sheet of 50-grit laying around, so I'll go with the 5-minute epoxy.

Gary
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 06:31 AM UTC
Just have to watch out for how much (volume) of the fiberglass resin will be needed - it heats up while curing so will it heat up enough to soften the plastic?

Jim
 _GOTOTOP