_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dissolving harded CA
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi guys,

It has been a few years i since my last build. so i begin 2016 with a build. Maybe my skill was rusty. so last night, i CA glued the resin cockpit onto the fuselage. I used CA accelerator with it. and then i glue the fuselage halves together. only then i discover the cockpit is not properly align (well , very very bad calculation.)
While the tamiya extra thin cement is also curing, i am afraid that this will damages the join of the fuselage half as i attempt to pry open the join. I then look into my dusty toolbox and found mercury CA debonder. I applied the debonder onto the cockpit-fuselage join but then notice it melt the paint on the cokcpit. I then stopped , not knowing what will become to the plastic.

Is there any other safer way to detach the cockpit?
The fuselage has cured now ... duhh

i appreciate your comments n feedback

thanks

Sil
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:05 AM UTC
I've used CA debonder on vinyl and plastic and neither reacted badly, only the force of my hands botched the entire operation.

You may want to try it on pieces of sprue first if you wish, just to be more certain about its effects. To avoid ruining the paintjob, perhaps apply a waterproof mask like plastic wrap or a piece of plastic bag stuck with painter's tape.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC
Have you tried putting the kit in a freezer?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've used CA debonder on vinyl and plastic and neither reacted badly, only the force of my hands botched the entire operation.

You may want to try it on pieces of sprue first if you wish, just to be more certain about its effects. To avoid ruining the paintjob, perhaps apply a waterproof mask like plastic wrap or a piece of plastic bag stuck with painter's tape.

thanks.....yup agree that the delicateness of the pieces is my worst enemy.

Quoted Text

Have you tried putting the kit in a freezer?

i heard this before..unfortunately it's a 1/32 A-7e fuselage.. need a super giant freezer or have to remove all the content of my currect freezer, which will end up answering to the mighty wife..

anyway, i will attempt slowly with the debonder and hope nothing goes wrong... may the force be with me

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 03:52 PM UTC
CA, unlike styrene glue, does not melt the joint and parts can be separated again if hit -as long as the part is stronger than the joint...

If possible I would try to just break the joint, think how can you hit or bend it to avoid damage to the parts, and then sand off the glue
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Zaidi,

CA creates a strong bond when you apply a force that is vertical to the bond but it is weak when you apply the force horizontal.

-()- with - being the force then the bond is very strong

-=- with - being the force applies then the bond is very weak since then CA is very fragile

Anyways I would keep using the debonder although it can be a very slow process. In my experience it will not attack plastic.

Best regards,
Angel
Jaberwocky61
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC
Nail varnish remover gets ca off fingers etc. Would try it on spare sprue first to make sure thats ok but the resin certainly would be fine.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi guys...thanks for all your feedback. i really appreciated them all. Sorry for the late reply as well.

Fortunately, i managed to get the problem solved by using CA debonder.

Well, some photos to show how serious was my mistake. The misalignment of the cockpit with the fuselage.

the green is the reference line for the resin cockpit while the pink is the fuselage line. Way too far ..and i have to fix it.
After reading all the replies and some other reading materials, i gave it a deep thought on how to apply the debonder to the join as u may most of the join are not easily accessible.
Answer then came while stuck in the traffic jam on a way back home. haha
so i drill a few holes at the back panel of the wing join and at the bottom of the fuselage, so that i can apply debonder by using a cheap brush.

after leaving for a few minutes..i slowly pull the resin and it came out... phewwww... never feel any better

the damages is minimal..further applying the debonder dissolved all the CA residue.

now i can move on...

thanks ..u guys a great..

Zaidi
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
I am glad that you were finally able to use the debonder and get minimal damage.

Happy modelling!!!
 _GOTOTOP