_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Noob here
Armor_nut
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi guys,
So I'm quite the noob here, I have done a few car and small tank models but not a lot. So I'm wondering if I can get some tips. A friend gave me a trumpeter bruckenleger pz iv b kit and I am just starting assembly however there are a ton of parts and a bridge my question is how should I paint this. I don't have an airbrush and I literally suck at hand painting the whole tank I just leave lines.(however pretty good with hand painting smaller parts) . With the rattle can I can do some great things tho. However like I said there's the bridge which is most of the model and I'd imagine assembled it would be quite difficult to paint even with airbrush. So I was wondering if I should I assemble the tank by itself and paint it fully and then add the bridge painted. Basically paint the two pieces separately. Or assemble everything but the road wheels and tracks and paint that way. I know it's a dumb question but I was hoping someone with a ton more knowledge than me or someone who has built this before might chime in. Thanks.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:43 AM UTC
Mike,
Not a dumb question at all. Everyone has their own preferences on how to finish AFVs, but I think most are inclined to paint the assembled model or in sub-assemblies. In this case I would definitely paint the bridge separate from the tank. I also usually paint the running gear off the tank, but there are very good techniques for doing it on the tank.

As far as the method for painting, there are some out there who can achieve astonishing results with a brush, but I think for most of us mere mortals an airbrush produces much better results more easily. If you are going to hand paint, I would suggest using acrylic paints over enamels. My preference, but others would probably say use enamels--again, personal preference reigns supreme.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like quite a challenge.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:44 AM UTC
Welcome to the site and Network Mike.

Try to build the model into sub-assemblies and then paint before the final construction. Remember to remove paint from mating surfaces or you will have issue with glue not doing its job.
 _GOTOTOP