_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The death of a hobby
Maozer
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:00 AM UTC
Modelling is a great hobby, with a great international community and an astonishing variety of subjects and nationalities. Many think that these are the last days of the pastime, and that it will die with this last generation. In consequence, almost every forum/website occasionally has a discussion on how to get young modellers involved. As one of “the youth” i’d like to give my thoughts on this topic. I do think that yes, modeling will probably not be around in 30 years, and will be absolutely gone by 2060.

I think that modelling is a hobby for another generation. Most modelling clubs/ Shows/Conventions are inundated by golden oldies. That age difference can separate and alienate a lot.

These days, (and i’ll confirm the suspicions of most guys) my friends, classmates and every single boy in my school has played one of these “computer” games: BF4, COD, SC2, LOL, WOT, WT, FO4, DOTA (By the way, we say video games, not computer games fwy).

Other than that, there are sports, social media, etc. Anyways, yes, Video games are the most popular form of entertainment. So when the average kid my age (and i’m speaking from personal experience) starts building a model, and a lot of the time forced by an enthusiastic parent nostalgic of the good old days, he’s struck by a sudden boredom, tediously cutting and sanding every part of probably a cheap(therefore badly produced and ancient) kit.

Combine that with a shorter attention span developped by rigourous video game training and you’ve got one of the most dull feeling experiences ever.

But don’t go and bash computer games right away. In fact, playing COD is what got me inerested in millitary, then history, then modelling. Although i must admit that the chances of that happening again is unlikely. Finally, they're REALLY fun!

I think another one of the reasons why modelling is not so popular is that most of my entourage is simply not interested in the subject matter. Nowadays, ww2, vietnam, korea, is all ancient history that’s rarely seen outside of history class(and not at all here in Ontario until grade 10). Kids just aren’t as fascinated by the wars that maybe their grandpa was in. Well, I did get into the hobby because of my interest in ww2 and war, but my peers don’t share that same passion, and i must confess I am one strange child.

In addition, modelling is not the safest hobby in the eyes of many. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was a parent I would be uneasy letting my child sniff glue and vaporised carcinogens all day. Some products have stuff like warnings of cancer and birth defects. Yeesh. Instead, the trend is safety, rounded corners and paint so safe you could lick and swallow it. That could definitely contribute to parents shying away. Also, the subject matter may be too violent for some. I think in recent years parents have focused more on peacefull related toys.

Finally, the price tag. Ok, let’s say I want a new dragon kit, with paint and glue, add to that all the tools, and (not to forget the airbrush and compressor). The price can easily skyrocket upwards of 150$. A child usually has two days a year to expect presents, Christmas and his birthday, and I still hesitate to ask for a modelling gift in sacrifice to other things. Only well off families can afford a serious modelling habit.

So, what should we do to solve this problem? In my opinion, nothing.

Think about the hobbies that disappeared by now. Chemistry sets with actual radon? http://www.bay-of-fundie.com/archives/2466/the-most-awesome-toy-of-all

Trolls? Sports cards? Head Shrinking?

Jokes aside, hobbies die out. And despite modellers best efforts, i believe there are now more accessible and completely different forms of entertainment that have made modeling obsolete. And maybe some will mourn the death of this hobby, but those people(like me) will also die out. In the end, it was fun while it lasted. In the words of the Beatles: “let it be”.

Enough cheese. Feel free to state your opinion. thanks for reading!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:56 AM UTC
Well...that kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:37 AM UTC
Complete and utter poppycock!!!

But seriously, while it is true that perhaps in some circles, or genres of modelling, we may indeed be seeing a decline in "membership", for lack of a better term, I truly believe in a few things about this particular hobby.

1. It has always, like most things in life, had a somewhat cyclical love affair with the younger audience. Types, or styles of models built, have come and gone, and come around again over the decades, but there are always people building models. Since the time time began, some dad has been showing his kid how to build something out of a bunch of pieces, and the 2 of them have enjoyed a good laugh over it.

2. Yes, kids these Days have " better" and more "exciting" things to occupy their spare time. But so did I when I was younger. We had things like sports, and girls, and did I mention girls... and sports.... We also had the birth of "video games", I can remember Galaga and Missile Command, and pac man and donkey kong, and even Fooseball and billiards. We had lots of things going on too, but we still had time to build things that we could subsequently fill with lighter fluid and wooden matchstick heads and blow to kingdom come!

3. I look at all the Warhammer and similar gaming going on now, and how the shops where these pieces are sold and I don't see that it is any different than model building... Figure painting is figure painting is figure painting....is my point being understood? Just a different genre.

4. I go to my own local IPMS chapter monthly meetings and I see a number of kids, from about 8 through to teens, all coming out and hanging out, showing off their builds, listening and learning.

5. I only have to go on a Saturday or a Sunday to the LHS, in my city it's a Hobby Wholesale, to see dozens of kids there with moms and dads, and they're buying everything...models, RC's, paper planes, science kits ( which are making another cyclical comeback BTW), and just about everything in between.

So, in conclusion, I personally don't see the end coming anytime soon, certainly not by 2060. People have been saying things like this for more passes around the sun than I've made, and will be saying it for many many more I'm sure. Are we in a great spot? I think so. You can find practically any kind of subject matter these days. In fact something I see in the LHS all the time, are kits that were popular when I was a kid coming back in vogue. Yo want to build it today, you can!

Sure prices are higher than they need to be, but that's a first world, North American and European issue more than a world wide thing, IMHO. When you pay actors and sports figures millions of dollars to play a game or a role in a movie, and put such a premium on recreation and convenience, then things will always cost more.

Just a few thoughts from one of the "older" guys here, not trying to sound super wise, or even enlightened, but someone who is passionate about everything I do, including modelling.

And as a last freebie from the peanut gallery. I too gave up building for many years while I sorted out life as I knew it, trying to conquer the world, and some serious wild oats sowing. But as I got a little older, and a lot wiser I found time for a couple of the things that always seemed to be a place of groundedness, if that's a word, when I was younger, and not quite so sure of how the days may pass.

So, to you who writes as one with an old soul, and well ahead of his years... Ask not for whom this bell tolls, it tolls for thee. I can almost stake my life savings on it, such as they are, that in 20 or 25 years, you will be sitting at a table or desk somewhere, gluing your fingers and some plastic to each other and muttering about the carpet monsters unquenchable hunger for the smallest parts on the sprue

Take care my friend, and thanks for letting me weigh in...
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 11:38 AM UTC
Well Clarke,
I am not sure I agree with your assessment of the death of the hobby. You could end up being correct and I wouldn't be totally surprised but I'm still a bit skeptical. Folks have been predicting the end of the hobby since the first day of the internet. You have some strong points, safety, cost, etc. but you may find that as you age your (generic you, not you in particular) attention span will become longer and longer. One of the reasons that I believe the hobby will remain fairly strong is that I look around at other hobbies, woodworking, painting, music, heck even tying flies and none of them appear to be going away. Modelling may well change; perhaps we will see more sci-fi stuff rather than military subjects but if that is the case it will simply end up as a variation on a theme. Lets check back with each other sometime around 2035 and see how things are going then!
Cheers,
Rick
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC
I started a thread a few years back, and several folks have added to it along the way. It's all about Keeping the love alive

Cheers, D
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:05 PM UTC
I have to disagree, your thoughts may sound logical but I see that:
* There are more kit and aftermarkets producers than ever
* There are more shows and more people attending them than ever
* There are new products everyday
* There are a myriad of highly active internet forums and sites about modelling (see this very one, last record of users was in December, 2015)
* Facebook pages are countless and highly active
* Local shops are closing but I bet Internet sales are growing

So I do not see modelling disappearing in the short future. It will evolve, for example 3D printing has come to stay, but this is just a change like resin or photoetch.

As for the lack of young modellers, it may be only that the hobby os not for young people. I know many ones that started around 30 or later,and it's ok.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
"...will be absolutely gone by 2060." -- what makes you say that?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 05:58 PM UTC
Like most here, I have to disagree with you as well. I knew practically no one other than me who modeled in HS as well. Most get involved in it very young, leave the hobby in their teen years for other interests (girls, sports, etc...) and come back to the hobby after college. Your 16-17 year old reasoning is very ill-informed. The hobby is not dying at all. If anything, it is growing. We have more kits and accessories now more than we ever have. It is stronger than ever.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:06 PM UTC
I have to agree with the majority of the comments here. I can't see the hobby dieing out, it is a multi million pound market (it must be with the price we pay for our kits). Seriously though since I started back in the hobby there has been massive progress, the hobby has moved into the 21st century which is a reassuring sight as it means the companies who sell the kits and accessories are listening to their consumers, including the younger ones. I see your point about video games, but they were around when I was younger too. I see this hobby as an older 30+ pastime. Dads will always try to get their sons and daughters involved in something they have an interest in, how many children support the same team as their dad? Kids get bored of the hobby as they get older, but they will come back just like me and many other have. The industry needs to market for the 30+ age group and the money they have available, but still cater for the younger groups who get involved at a young age. I think that is the case at present I think, and I can see the hobby still around in some form long after I am gone.

Pete
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC
Good analysis Clarke, younger voices are always welcome in every discussion about the hobby IMO. As a memeber of the youth like you, I'll be willing to provide my two cents worth.

Aside from computer games and other leisure activities, the biggest source of competition for scale model kits are pre-built models and toys, case in point: when Bandai introduced its Gundam model kits to the United States, American consumers were surprised they had to build it all by themselves (even when they were all moulded in snap-fit coloured plastic), in response they began producing action figures. As the Gundam boom faded in the US, Bandai stopped producing the action figures altogether.

For newbies, screwing up their first model kit and receiving a set of bleeding fingers in the process, risks putting them off the hobby entirely. The effects get even worse when their botched first kit is comparatively expensive and a pain in the a$$ to build. Speaking of expenses, the hobby is indeed expensive. After buying your first kit, you need to obtain the necessary tools, adhesive, and paint which means spending even more money.

As I've mentioned glue and paints before, they're normally objects meant to be only reliably handled by grown-ups, which unfortunately makes it more difficult for children to start modeling. Parents wouldn't be too comfortable seeing their children handle dangerous substances, screwing up on the first try could indeed prove fatal to the hobby and the aspiring hobbyist! It's quite a moot point when the kits are all snap-fit and pre-coloured of course.

I personally believe that those who fear the death of scale modeling shouldn't narrow their focus on getting youngsters interested but people of all ages instead. IIRC, a study in Japan discovered that youngsters and retirees are more inclined to build model kits, working-age youth and adults not so much as they have more important things to do. I can dispute those statistics like anything else but you get the idea.

Now back to Bandai, clearly one of the most, if not the most successful model kit companies alive today. IMHO, they succeed in part because they primarily produce kits under license of the IP holder. Their Gundam cash-cow is a cleverly orchestrated ploy between their merchandise department and the anime studio Sunrise (which they own by the way) to sell model kits. Not only can it generate a generally steady profit for them but awareness of scale modeling among people at an early age, and the likelihood of them trying out other genres, increases. However, success depends greatly on the popularity of the licensed IP to begin with.

That said, I associate part of the industry's struggles to the failure of the model kit company to aggressively market their product and fault the license holders for not endorsing model kits as part of their merchandise. It's much much difficult to achieve such prominence with military modeling as your staple genre where IP and licenses have historically been uncommon, while the voices are loud and the customers pay big, the market is still quite limited. The Italeri and Wargaming.net tie-up could shake things up a bit for military modeling.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC
I also have to disagree. While the image may show some down turn in North America, in England and Europe the hobby is quite strong. Having been to England and attended a couple of shows, you can definitely see the excitement for the hobby, both young and old.

With that said, I have seen a recent induction of youth into the hobby. Our local AMPS group does include some youth, who enjoy the hobby, and I must say are much better than I was at that age. Most probably due to our age of social media and available information. The younger crowd are using social media to share their passion, which I think is a good thing.

All in all, I think the hobby will be around for sometime.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC
I just wanna know where I can get my own radiation play set!

I still have a wristwatch with dots of radium around the rim and lines of it on the hands that my loving Grandpa gave me...
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
i have heard a lot about people saying that model making is dying because the youth isn't interested like it used to be because of video games.etc.
However, with me when i started model making it was when i was introduced to warhammer 40k. At the time i was also becoming more interested in video games, which by the time i really got into them, i found an interest in military modelling since alot of my games had tanks and you name it.

As you mentioned the hobby will be gone by 2060. If Isac newton was right about his prediction of the world ending in 2060 then i guess it's not just modelling we would have to worry about.

as you mentioned that all the items listed could cost $150. I think the best way for anyone to get started is to gradually gradually build up their equipment. Such as to get a fairly cheap model, the most basic tools you would need, a glue and a few simple paints needed for the basic paint job. that way it wouldn't cost so much to start off with. then they would slowly get what they need over time.

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:20 AM UTC
WE ARE THE PROBLEM!!!
Here is the honest truth about this. It's our fault. How many have shows and have no make and take for kids. We are to concern about getting a kit and building it so big and with every bell and turn barrel to get that award or thophy. We need to start getting kids in our clubs to get interested in building models. Go to the schools and talk to the admin and see if we can see if these kids want to build a kit. Ever heard of science fairs ect.... We have to get off our soap box of trying to be the best and turn to the kids and show them. How about each club for the next year have no shows less the nationals. Put out the info for 2-3 months about a make and take show. The kids show up build a kit and at the end have a contest on the finished or progressed kits. We had a talk about this this month at our club meeting which is held at our great LHS (Hayes Hobby in Fayetteville NC). Someone said the hobby will die with us. It's our fault because we need to involve more kids. We can fix this we just have to get involved before we lose what we love to do.

One more thing. How many have visited their local VA. In some cases you don't have to buy the kits. Some VA's have a big supply of them. Most of us are Veteran's ourselves. Go to the Admin tell them you would like to set up in the conf rooms and get them interested in this. Most of us are retired and all we do is go to appointments and back home. Here is a good way to spend some time after your appointment. Take an hour to work on a kit. Just some ideas but it got to start with us.
Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
I go to a few shows a year here in Germany, well I see a lot of the youngsters that are checking out the kits and also the merchants and the builders selling the their goods at the shows. There is always a few hobby tables set up for the those who want to try a kit and get the Infection. I remember when their where Hobby stores all over the cities selling there goods, but that has dwindled down to 1 or 2 in a city, and usually, they are together with a model Railroad store. I will be visiting my next week, since it is a 1.5hr drive away. Never say something is Dead, until it is Buried and Foregotten.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
Well we have 5 Great shops here in Fayetteville NC. 1)Hayes Hobby House, 2)The Hobbit, 3)Hobby Town USA, 4)Hobby Lobby, and 5)Hobby Place. So I guess we are doing good here.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC
not this thread again. utter dosh as succinctly said in the next to first reply.

rising tides lift all boats. gamers game, builders build, etc etc, and there are millions more of us with plenty to spare, and better and cheaper everything than ever for all. Let us also all be thankful to our comrades in Czech republic and Ukrain for their efforts to enrich us all!

When I was a yoot I could only buy kits at Woolworths, they only stocked - well - you know. slim pickings. now, by contrast, I spend hours browsing Shapeways drooling over all the stuff I always wanted (and I already have a closet full of fabulous wonderful stuff I'll never live long enough to finish!!!)

the hobbyist nirvana is here !
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:02 PM UTC
This paragraph has to take first prize:

Quoted Text

In addition, modelling is not the safest hobby in the eyes of many. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was a parent I would be uneasy letting my child sniff glue and vaporised carcinogens all day. Some products have stuff like warnings of cancer and birth defects. Yeesh. Instead, the trend is safety, rounded corners and paint so safe you could lick and swallow it. That could definitely contribute to parents shying away. Also, the subject matter may be too violent for some. I think in recent years parents have focused more on peacefull related toys.

It's a sad day when the PC Police have to target scale model building. When did kids become such pansies? And as for parents that feel that building a plastic tank would encourage violent tendencies in their children, they seriously need to chill out.

When I was a kid in the early 90's we played with toy guns, blew things up with firecrackers, shot those green 'army men' with BB guns and generally enjoyed getting up to mischief. I actually worry about this next generation's abilities to stand up for themselves and others in the face of danger.

Anyway, no, the hobby is not dying. The comments of others have made are more than sufficient to prove my case.

One thing I will say is this. When I was 16 I built a few Huey helicopters. I lost interest and only returned to the hobby the year I turned 23. I was a final year law student and worked nights in a little Italian restaurant to keep my fiance' (also a fellow law student) and I afloat. I still managed to make a monthly model purchase. In fact that year I built 11 models (a record I feel I will never achieve again).

If your interested in the hobby you will make a plan. If not, stick to your video games.
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a sad day when the PC Police have to target scale model building. When did kids become such pansies? And as for parents that feel that building a plastic tank would encourage violent tendencies in their children, they seriously need to chill out.

PC parenthood can't keep children off building scale model kits, it's more than tanks and guns, there are many other subjects PC parents wouldn't immediately object to.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:21 PM UTC
Clarke Might be worth saying where is Canada you are. If there are a few guys in your region meet up, chat and share with them. Maybe are more than happy to share, give from their stash and help out. Coming in can be a huge thing but as others have said slowly slowly you do build up. Everyone normally has a budget.

As for subjects look at all the new stuff. Modern is exploding wi all the post Iraq and Gahn kits and subjects that have been brought out. Check out Takom and Meng kits that need few extras and are great fun to build without spending a mint.
End of days, zombies, Star Wars are all subjects that are coming thick and fast. If mates aren't into WW2 there is heaps to choose from.

The net has closed a huge hole I saw when younger! So many sites, for,s and info at a click now. YouTube for videos and live sharing. Clubs are living things now so take that and run with it.

As for life it happens! Many go away during their life and many many come back and some power on all the way through.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 625 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:30 AM UTC
Scale model will be around for as long as humans are on earth.

There are some things that I'd like to mention though.

Scale modeling is not a mainstream trend right now. So it's kinda difficult for a youngster to get involved.As simple as that. Children simply do not know what scale modeling is.
It's not something you see on TV or see in a magazine.

For this reason I believe it's mostly a father to son thing right now. I have 2 sons age 3 and 5 and they know a lot about modeling because they see my models, learned not to touch them (at least most of the time) have understood basic manufacture and painting process and most important have comprehended the patience that is involved.

I take them in the basement and show them the workspace and in general try to push them the hobby.
Will they get involved? I don't know, but they have much more possibilities than the average kid.

Modeling has always been a sport for the few, I think it will stay this way but it will not disappear.

Technology and mass production of 3d printers will play a major part in the future and will define the direction the hobby will shift towards.

Just some thoughts
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:57 AM UTC
I certainly hope, because of the enjoyment and satisfaction I derive from it, that the hobby is NOT dying. But this Wall Street Journal article bothers me: http://www.wsj.com/articles/end-of-the-line-for-model-trains-aging-hobbyists-trundle-on-1455157546

Model railroads are very different from model tanks and planes and ships and figures (and cars). BuT I do not see many young people in the LHS.

I have been very interested in the comments everyone have left. Hopefully I am just a pessimist.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:12 PM UTC
In 60 years there will indeed be no more WW2 veterans alive. However there are already no living veterans of the Roman Empire or the Napoleonic wars and those periods still seem to enjoy a certain popularity among modellers, at least based on what I see at shows.

People are unlikely to stop wanting to create things in miniature just because they could spend the time playing a holographic game (for example) instead, where at the end they have nothing to show for it. Even if there are no commercial kits, there will be those who still build things from scratch because they enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction.
Jaberwocky61
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:26 PM UTC
I think in time some of the bigger players like Tamiya will pull out as sales simply wont support the investment and production costs. But the cottage industry with resin and pe etc has been building for years and i believe will fill that gap all be it for a smaller market.
The hobby wont die but it wont remain unchanged either, a process thats slowly happening now anyway.
 _GOTOTOP