_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from the UK! + Beginner advice
lucy345
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hi all, I'm a noob here!
Ive been following the forums for quite some time now and thought it was time to get involved!

I use to model aircraft when i was a kid but wasn't full of patience and very quickly got bored of it. Ive been looking for a new hobby for a while now, and this is something i've considered for months and i finally want to do it!

I was hoping that i could get some advice from you guys. I currently have no kit... I have found an online model shop in the uk http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ which i've heard good things about and want to buy my kit from there.

From reading the forums i have gathered a list of items that i would need and i was hoping someone here could give me advice on whether I'm making a good choice. If there is somewhere better to post this, please let me know!

So, this is my plan:
- I have picked my first model to be a Tamiya 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb : http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1-48-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb-tamiya-61033.html for which i hope to do a build log with too (nervous)

- Due to my finances, i won't be able to afford everything at once, so my plan is to leave all painting until the end of next month when i have some extra cash and focus on construction...

I have in my shopping basket the following items:
- cement and putty:
--- 40ml Extra Thin Cement Tamiya £3.15
--- 31ml Model Filler Humbrol £4.50
--- 40ml Mr Dissolved Putty Mr Hobby £5.50
- files and sanding
--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P320 Tamiya £1.65
--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P180 Tamiya £1.65
--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P240 Tamiya £1.65
--- 5pc Mini Needle File Set Expo Tools £4.50
--- 20mm Sanding Files Fine 240/320 Grit White Albion Alloys £4.46
--- 20mm Sanding Files Medium 120/140 Grit Blue Albion Alloys £ 4.46
- cutting tools
--- A3-Self-Heal Cutting Mat Modelcraft £8.95
--- Rolson Tools 62917 Hobby Knife Set 17pc set £4.50
- grips and tweezers
--- 8pc Micro Clamp Set £2.00
--- Tweezer Set Trumpeter £5.49
--- 25pk Microbrush Yellow Fine Albion Alloys £4.46

Total (inc aircraft): £69.90 inc VAT
Painting -
--- Im looking for a airbrush, ~£100
--- Im looking a compressor,

Is there anything obvious im missing here? Thanks for taking your time to read this!
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hi, and welcome to the site!

First of all, I am an armour modeller of the old school, those who always try to look for household alternatives for modelling materials and tools so... feel free to disregard all my comments below

I do not see anything wrong on your list, however if you are short on cash and specially if you have to pay for the postage, let me comment a few items:

--- 40ml Mr Dissolved Putty Mr Hobby £5.50
I can live without it. As far as I know you can thin also Humbrol filler with acetone.

--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P320 Tamiya £1.65
--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P180 Tamiya £1.65
--- 3x 229 x 93mm Finishing Abrasives P240 Tamiya £1.65
Wetordry sand paper from as hardware store works fine for me, get different grades

--- 20mm Sanding Files Fine 240/320 Grit White Albion Alloys £4.46
--- 20mm Sanding Files Medium 120/140 Grit Blue Albion Alloys £ 4.46
Do not see the need... sandpaper on a support does the job

--- A3-Self-Heal Cutting Mat Modelcraft £8.95
Maybe you can get a similar one on a crafts store

--- Rolson Tools 62917 Hobby Knife Set 17pc set £4.50
Five #11 blades and a handle should be enough for a beginner. I doubt even a pro would use more than 3 different shaped blades...

--- Tweezer Set Trumpeter £5.49
Any tweezer with a fine tip is what you need 90% of the time

--- 25pk Microbrush Yellow Fine Albion Alloys £4.46
Do not even know what are they for...

Again, having more tools will never harm so if you can afford them, go for them (and more!)

And above all, enjoy and do not be discouraged if it does not end as you would like. It takes time and (as lot of) practice)
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC
Good advice here.

Other than craft stores, hardware stores are a good place to look for tools and supplies too.
The tamiya spit is a great kit.
Do research on future purchases. I've a lifetime stash of unbuildable stuff.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi Lucy,
Welcome to the forums! Like you, I retutned to the hobby after years away from it.

You can save a lot of money by not buying hobby-brand specific tools and supplies.

Hobby sandpaper gives you a tiny square, whilst going to a hardware store you get larger sheets that cost a lot less. You should never need more than 1500 grit. If you can't find that at a hardware store, try an auto-parts store. After using 1500 grit, newsprint will enable you to put a high sheen on your sanded parts.

Fine point tweezers can be found at a discount chemist.

The only name brand thing I will recommend is Tamiya masking tape. It is far superior to other masking tapes.

Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy your Spitfire,

Gary
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:43 AM UTC
I don't know about the UK, but over here I can find Trumpeter's Master tools at a fraction of the cost of Tamiya's Craft tools with a wider range. Works just as well.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know about the UK, but over here I can find Trumpeter's Master tools at a fraction of the cost of Tamiya's Craft tools with a wider range. Works just as well.

I find some of the "Trumpeter's Master tools" with-out the brand print on it at a fraction of the cost of "Trumpeter's Master tools" from China free delivery on Aliexpress.com....
lucy345
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered my kit... i followed your advice and got some of the stuff cheaper at my local diy store
A family member has kindly given me a harder and steenbeck ultra airbrush too. Can not wait to get started! I also managed to unearth my old badger 150 airbrush too which i thought was too deep in storage to ever find.

Thanks for all your help, ill keep you updated on the build!

_GOTOTOP