_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Who is the audience for your models?
jamesdoan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Personally, I enjoy researching a new project almost as much as building it. Not only do I get information about the real thing which directs the building process, but it's interesting to learn about the technical or historical aspects. I also enjoy swapping parts from one kit to another, holding up bits of one kit against another model to see what's possible and trying to envisage whether the wheels from one kit will fit the tires from another, or whatever. And I still get a buzz from lifting the lid off a brand new kit for the first time, looking at the sprues and trying to imagine what the finished model will look like.

Each and every one of us modelers has a talent for some aspect of modeling, even if we aren't all completely comfortable with every element. But we can all learn from those who have skills which we don't possess. The best way to learn is to watch someone who is an expert. We can't all do that, but it is possible to follow the expertise of skilled modelers through the pages of the numerous modeling magazines currently available. Back issues can often be found at your local library.

You might build for your own satisfaction. In this case, you can build models of subjects that appeal to you. You can use techniques that you are most familiar with and build to a level of detail and quality that satisfies you.

Then again, if you build in order to display your work, whether for family, friends or other club members, you are going to work to a different set of standards. While your family might share your interests and be pleased with similar subjects, your friends might have a better appreciation of models of topics with which they are more familiar. Club members might be more interested in seeing a model which displays a novel modeling technique or a variation on one of their own subjects.

If entering competitions is the reason you build, you will probably be working with yet another range of subjects and looking to utilize aftermarket parts and additional specialized techniques to make a unique and prize-winning model.

Understanding the audience for which you build will allow you to plan the way you will select a subject and apply the appropriate techniques. This will add to the pleasure you will get from working on the project and result in a more apt model for your audience to view.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Well I was going to say my cats and dogs lol. But it's primarily the members of my club here in Barrie.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:43 AM UTC
Before most of the time "Me my self and I " now mi son start to be little bit more intrested...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC
I primarily build for my own enjoyment, meaning that I'm not so worried about historical accuracy, or factual basis for what I build....more, it's about how does the subject matter makes me feel when I'm done. Did I achieve the goal I Set out to when I began?

My wife enjoys my excitement when I'm trying something new or tricky, and my kidlet (5 year old girl) loves "helping", and playing with the stained glass windows I made during that stage of my latest work...but neither of them truly have any impact, or motivation on my building.

However I do blog my work here on the site, and I am a member of the local IPMS, so I am aware of, and value, the feedback I get from those that view my work.

Let's face it, who doesn't like getting positive expressions about something they create? Also I enjoy helping others to do better, it's part of my nature as a coach/mentor, so this forum and the model club give me that opportunity.

But mostly, I build for the pure pleasure and relaxation I get, and it kinda helps me to keep a memory of time with my own dad, before he passed away, alive and active. That means a lot to me cause I'm now older than he was when we would sit at the kitchen table, or down in the rumpus room and build together.

That's it... Those are my reasons, my audience...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Before most of the time "Me my self and I " now mi son start to be little bit more intrested...

Nice!
 _GOTOTOP