_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Question about lighting?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC
I have a homemade light tent that my friend Hussein Elkaissy pretty much made for me.. I just stuck the parts together Anyway, my question is.. I see a lot of pictures of people showing their setups and how they take pics of models.. as well as pics of professionals taking pics for ads and things like that.. and in those pics they have no light in the room except for the light tent.. So, do you get better pics if you turn off the lights in the room and just have the two lights that are pointed at the tent?

Hisham
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Hisham,
Given that the dedicated lights are much closer and stronger, it should not affect that much whether there is light or not in the room.

However and considering usually they are of different types and colour temperatures, I guess a purist will surely switch off the lights to avoid even the slightest tint
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Carlos... I guess there could be some logic to having concentrated light pointed at the light tent and nothing else around it to detract from the effect.. will try it out next time I take some pics.

Hisham
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:47 PM UTC
Having lamps with different light temperatures will drive the White Balance of the camera "nuts", even manual white balance will only allow you to set a compromise. That might affect colors.

These days with "energy saver lamps" everywhere chances are that all lights have one temperature but "back in the old days" normal bulbs in the overhead lights and daylight bulbs in the photo lamps had interesting effects.

If the source lighting the light tent is a lot brighter than the overhead light this might not be visible since the overhead light is basically drowned out. Same with a flash either set manually or if the camera uses it as the main light.

If on the other hand the camera uses the flash only as a filler (As do Canon DSLR in Apperture and Time Priority ) than you are back to square one and need to adjust the temperature of the flash using colored filters (commonly called Lee Filters) Fun and Games! Fun and Games!

Bonus points for setting the camera to manual white balance and then forgetting to switch it back to Auto. Took me a while to realise that neither the camera nor the lense was the problem with the "sick Vulcan" look on the outdoor portrait shots.
 _GOTOTOP