Correct Measurements
Purplepanzer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi my fellow modelling brethren.

Just a couple of quick questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I'm not sure if this is the section to ask but as my questions relate to scratch building equipment, I think they should qualify.

Does anyone know where I can get the measurements for WW2 equipment such as vehicle tarps, webbing & it's component parts ammo pouches etc, & that sort of stuff in general?
I am wanting to scratch build this sort of stuff for my 1/35th scale WW2 models, but I want them to be the correct size in that scale.

Any pointers, links web sites etc would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Wellsbourne
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:27 AM UTC
Dave,
probably the best site for allied vehicles would be "Maple Leaf UP", these guys restore vehicles, another would be the HMVF "historic military vehicles forum. If you are unable to get hold of vehicle manuals, (they can be expensive), these people are very helpful...I think HMVF also has an Axis group as well. I have used them a lot the guys are very helpful too......you will need to join (FREE) to be able to post questions.....They have an amazing fund of knowledge.

George
Smiodan
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hit up google for "scale model calculator". i cant remember the exact page i got it from but there is one you can download along with the online ones. i use it a lot for scaling down things, might be useful to you if you find the measurements your looking for.

Matt

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 10:49 PM UTC
It depends on the sort of info you want. For example, the sizes of cam nets and certain tank sheets are often given on stowage diagrams for British and Commonwealth vehicles. Not seen similar for other nationalities but if you ask specific questions here or on ML someone may know. For pouches and such like, books on personal equipment usually have photos and often dims and even drawings. Or you may be able to buy or measure the real thing. British 1938 webbing is easy to find in the UK and cheap, Soviet and German harder.

Some manufacturers produce such kit in resin or plastic but dims and shape are not always accurate and they are often rather square compared to the real thing, which are squishy unless full of ammo mags, so comparing with the real thing is worthwhile.
 _GOTOTOP