_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Packaging - Do you care??
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A bit of a question around packaging for say aftermarket resin updates and the likes. I am wondering if you care about the packaging.. There are a few common types out there, but does it make a difference to you the buyer at all??

So a few types.

In a box

In a clamshell

Header card with a ziplock

Images for discussion only.

This is not to pick on any brands but to know what you guys like or done like if you care at all..

Cheers
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:24 AM UTC
Yes it makes it makes a difference, as a lot of orders are made online these days and the survivability of the product in the post is important.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:49 AM UTC
definitively yes..i prefere the box,the ziplock is ok for PE or decal and i hate the clamshell!
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes it makes it makes a difference, as a lot of orders are made online these days and the survivability of the product in the post is important.

Yes obvious requirement

Quoted Text

definitively yes..i prefere the box,the ziplock is ok for PE or decal and i hate the clamshell!

Is it more about storage or value for money for the box vs the clamshell mate?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it more about storage or value for money for the box vs the clamshell mate?

Is more about storage,it take to much space,you can't pile up....yes i have some problem with compulsive Shopping! ,and i dont not how to explain but i prefere the cardboard to plastic like i prefere a paper book to a digital one...
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC
For me there are several aspects. Most important is that the parts don't get damaged in transport. For that aspect it depends what you're packaging. If it's something that easily breaks obviously I'd prefer the box or clamshell.

Second is the presentation. Personally I like the box better as the presentation method. But I wouldn't decide not to buy a product just because it's in a clamshell. If I had the choice between the same product in two types of packaging with the same price I would prefer the box. Stashes better an you keep the overview better than if it needs to be stored in a drawer ro so...

When it comes to boxes I like the ones with a proper lid or in the examples above like the Legend example. I don't like side opening boxes but I realize that these will be cheaper for the manufacturer.

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me there are several aspects. Most important is that the parts don't get damaged in transport. For that aspect it depends what you're packaging. If it's something that easily breaks obviously I'd prefer the box or clamshell.

Second is the presentation. Personally I like the box better as the presentation method. But I wouldn't decide not to buy a product just because it's in a clamshell. If I had the choice between the same product in two types of packaging with the same price I would prefer the box. Stashes better an you keep the overview better than if it needs to be stored in a drawer ro so...

When it comes to boxes I like the ones with a proper lid or in the examples above like the Legend example. I don't like side opening boxes but I realize that these will be cheaper for the manufacturer.

Yep...i quote every single word of my compatriot!...
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
If I spend $70 on a resin set, I don't mind a $2 box to ensure all intact parts.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 04:52 AM UTC
Whatever the packaging, it needs to protect the contents, such as a sturdy box with bubble wrap for resin parts, or a zip-lock bag with a stiff card for PE. I received a 1/72 Resin and PE Detail set from Flyhawk Model that came in small zip-lock baggies packed in a small plastic box! (image from Scalemates.com):

For me, color pictures of the unpainted but assembled item can be very helpful, as many instructions are simple line drawings that can be confusing or unclear for assembly. Of course, some manufacturers provide instructions with pictures for the assembly, and/or even a CD with images, so it just depends on what you want to provide.

I agree with the others concerning stackability of boxes versus clam-shell containers, but that's not a big problem, as a number of the AM Detail items I've obtained I place in the box of the kit they will be used on.

Just my thoughts.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
I just received a Legend Productions set. The box and internal packaging are ideal as they protect the contents in shipping. I have received items in blister packs and bags before and they have arrived broken.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback fellas! Protection is a must as always so all good there..but, Good to hear the points of view and what might be wanted and what is liked. The stash storage is something that is always there so I understand the boxing need or desire.

Happy to hear more feedback while I am in this stage of planning.

AFV guys something new coming for you guys soon! More to be shared in time
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
I hate it when you buy expensive resin conversions/updates sets and they arrive loosely packed in bags in a box. Aires is a prime example of this.

I wish the AM producers would take on board that we pay a lot of money for these parts so expect decent packaging.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
I have always liked the box and packaging Legend is using. Sturdy, easy to open/access the goods and re-useable as a storage box after the parts have been put to use.

At the same time "this is not a Manfrotto". Meaning they are not sending a 50x5cm 680B Aluminium Monopod (10kg capacity, doubles as a maul) packed in a 10x10x60cm sturdy box filled with bubble wrap in a 100x50x50 super-sturdy box filled with packaging flakes.
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 343 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:45 PM UTC
As said protection of contents is priority, with that said any item (i.e fragile, resin) that can be dented or damaged should be in a box or clamshell, while clamshells are sometimes a pain in the a*s they are very protective. Resin or plastics should Not be packaged in bags and cardstock.
- John
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:57 PM UTC
Top opening sturdy box that can stack well in the stash so I don't have to play stash Tetris when I add/remove a kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10508&p=albums&album=10128#2

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP