_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
New to scratchbuilding-how to start
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
I would very much like to scratchbuild & superdetail, but i don't how to start.
what can be a simple project to practie on?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC

Welcome to an exciting world.

A first rule to scratchbuilding is : read a few things, get familiar with the possibilities and techniques.
Two interesting sources are : 1) the many subjects in this forum and 2) check this website on techniques. http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/tech.htm It's a site about science fiction models, but the basic techniques are well described and illustrated.

A second rule would be : don't start with the most difficult techniques. Try them one by one.

Don't forget : scratchbuildings may involve products you do not want your children to mess with. Keep them in a safe place. Watch your own fingers, too !

If you have any specific questions... there's dozens of guys and ladies arouhd here who can advise you !

Welcome !

Jan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 05:07 AM UTC
I agree - don't start too big. I actually have built on my super detailing skills over a number of kits. I started with a few handles, then added some extra details, I would scratch build details, extra stowage, or dio related items, etc. Every time getting more and more involved.
Take notes along the way too, on what works, what doesn't, how you did it etc. Don't be afraid to try the 'out of the ordinary' household item as a model part. I've seen some interesting thing turned into good looking parts with a coat of paint and extra styrene details glued on.

The six most important words are:

Research, research, research, practice, practice, practice

Ask if you don't know - there are a lot of people here that can and will help if you get stuck on a particular item.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 05:51 AM UTC
All you need to know has been said by GeneralFailure and Slodder.

Start small. try something like a mortar and a figure first. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon and as the questions start to rise the answers will be here again.

Good Luck ! and whatever you do...enjoy it !

ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
To repeat, start small. Get a few pieces of styrene rod or metal wire, and replace those thick and mis-molded grab handles or rails. Replacing the round or tubular bits on a model is a simple way to really improve the appearance, since rods and pipes are often not molded round (or are too thick, or have seam lines or mold mismatches). As your skills improve and you feel ready, try another technique or two on the next model.

Drop the flaps, if you are an aircraft modeler. Replace the oleo legs on the landing gear with styrene tubing. Add some of the piping and wiring in the photos that aren't in the gear bays or cockpit.

Be aware that scratching requires more tools than basic work, and good photo references are a must. Having an eye for oddball and unusual materials that have the right shape or size is very useful. Try the craft department at Walmart for about 20 different sizes of wire (floral wire) that are useful. A small pair of smooth-jaw pliers, a pair of wire cutters, and a pair of round nose pliers will come in hand.

Also, PE is a great and easy way to start the superdetailing process. Combined with a few simple scrathbuilt details, they can really spiff up an ordinary kit.

Good luck, and have fun.
arawata
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
If by scratchbuilding you mean you want to build something entirely from scratch (rather than replacing features on a commercial kit), then can I suggest trying WW1 armour. I think the first scratchbuilt model I built was a WW1 British mk IV tank - lots of flat surfaces and angles. Next was the Whippet. Again - easy subjects for a beginner who wants something real to show at the end of the exercise. And lots of practice replicating rivets :-)

arawata
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
I heartily concur with the advice given above--start small with additional details and stowage items for armor, or oleo scissors and the like for airplanes. Fine brass wire is easy to work with for handles and rails. As noted above, the tooling required is going to be extensive--a few different pliers mentioned above, plus flush-cut nippers. For working with styrene sheet, a large cutting mat is a must, and a couple of different sizes of metal straightedge ruler--metal because your knife blade won't cut into it. From the drafting/drawing section of the craft store, a circle template is handy. Also a compass to make perfect circles of any diameter.

Naturally if you wish to scratch-build a substantial part of a vehicle or an entire one, good drawings are a must. Photos are invaluable, but usually can provide only a rough guide to dimensions. And before you start, make sure you have PLENTY of raw material. Often you'll make two or three pieces before you get the result you want. Start small, and work up over time. A couple of excellent books to look at for tips and tricks are Sheperd Paine's old standards, "How to make Dioramas" and "How to Build Tanks and Amored Fighting Vehicles". They are as old as time, and have gone through two or three editions from Kalmbach books. Any decent hobby shop should have them. Mine are two decades old ang getting pretty dog-eared.
Greg
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Be sure to download the article in FEATURES/SECTONS --- DIORAMAS called :

"Building a Diorama from Scratch"

.... lots of ideas, tips, and tricks... and it is here exclusisvley on ARMORAMA.COM.

Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC
Well youve come to the right place. But first of all RESEARCH!!!and lots of it.
Good luck my freind, and happy scratching :-) #:-)
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:32 AM UTC
I havn't tried scatching buliding before, but if it were me (becuase I don't usually do diaramas) I would probably just get some sheet styrene and try making geometric shaprs like cubes, pyramids, etc, just to get the hang of it, but that may just be me.
 _GOTOTOP