_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I'm losing my mind I do believe!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi. Spent part of the day yesterday, on and off, primering the wheels on my 1/25 scale Academy Panther kit. Moving the pieces from the house to the unheated garage, and back again, once the paint fumes had dispersed. (I hate winter anymore! Quite literally.) Anyway, between trips, I lost one of the outer road wheels! Now how in the world I lost one of those rather large 1/25 scale wheels, only the Great Spirit knows for sure. Have looked high and low and gave certain areas the most complete cleaning since we moved in here. And still no wheel. I know it's hiding some place or other, just watching me look everyplace but where it's at. Ha!

I was tempted to accuse one of the cats of 'borrowing' it, but I know they don't like the smell of these primered parts either, even when the paint is dry and cured.

Thankfully, this kit provided 3 spare wheels, so I should be able to get a piece of plastic, either a spure from the kit, or a rod at the store and hopefully make another one to fit inside the center one of these spare wheels. But this is probably a real pain and an unnecessary job that didn't have to be done in the first place.

The main problem was that I was doing about 4 or 5 different things at the same time I was primering these things, so it's no wonder I lost one of them. Going to have to slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time. At least for the next few hours or so. Ha, ha! Brain fry!

If I don't happen to find it in the next couple of days, I'm sure it's gone to that proverbial 'place' somewhere in the house that all these mysterious pieces tend to go once they've slipped beyond out o four sight. But, then again, it may not be in the house either, or this 'dimension' either, as the last time we moved I never found any of the parts that I had lost from any models that I had put together over there .

A proverbial delimma I'm afraid we all sometimes face. Ticks me off, though.

Take care, Sgirty
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
entire network: 339 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
Yeap quite a story mate!!! You already got the idea- Model one thing at a time, so you can make a better work!!! If you can't find that piece, why don't you call the FBI, or hire a private detective??
Just kiddin'

See yaaa
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
How do you transfer the parts to painting?
When I did my Panther,I left the wheels on the sprue,to make them easier to hold,for the main color.And when I painted the rubber,I always do it by hand and a brush,so I don't remove them from the sprue until painting the last time.
As for transfering,I cart the whole box,with subassemblies in it down to my basement booth,pait,and bring it all back,less chance of misplacing anything.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC

......I still think the CAT did it!!! ....smell or not....they're evil .... #:-)

I have found many of my kit parts in the morning in various parts of the floor with my cats just sitting there looking 'innocent'...........yeah, right.

Tread.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi. mastertyno, like you idea of calling in the FBI on this thing, but I would have to convince them that it's a threat to 'homeland secuity' to get them to move. Suppose I could tell them that I see it as a terrorist threat in going around different parts of the country, and world, sneaking into various homes of certain modelers and stealing various strategic parts from under the our noses to stockpile them and someday use them for rasom against the capitialist western world. Ha, ha!

Unfotunately, this would require a whole new view of the terrorist threat, both here and aborad. Thus creating new investigative committees, boards of inquiry, an various acts of Congress, plus other various committies to review and cast doubt on it all and those involved in it. Not to mention setting up boards of inquiry to design and develop whole new 'terrorist proof' boxes and security arrangements we modelers would have to abide by in building and painting our models.

And all in all, it would accomplish just about as much as the other 'wars' --poverty, drugs, etc.-- we have engaged ourselves in in the last 50 years or so and, in the end, accomplish just about as much in eliminating the main problem--other than lining a few pockets of those key people involved. Not to mention each model costing us around $500, minimum. So I think I'll just 'let sleeping dogs lie' here. Ha, ha! But thanks for the suggestion.

Tankcarl, I went ahead and put the inner two road wheels together first, and then just removed the others as well, cleaned them up, and super glued in the caps. Then just put them on some masking tape on the box tox and then took them back and forth out into the garage. I like you suggestion much better and in hindsight this would have been the best way to go. But, unfortunately, I didn't consider this. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Treadhead. I don't think we will agree on the 'evilness' of cats, but come to think of it, my big 17 lb. male was sitting on the hutch behind me with his head over my shoulder while I was working with them yesterday. Hummm............

Take care, Sgirty #:-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
I don't think your cats are doing their job. It is obvious to me what happened to the roadwheel, The Borrowers took it. They are probably outside using it as a sled as we speak.

#:-) #:-)
Shaun

Has be either that or a wormhole...
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
LOL, Shaun your good! One of these days I'm going to catch these gremlins in the act. then I can get back all of my parts!

Cheers,
Garry
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC
This sounds like one for the X-files

Of course it could lead back to the cat(s) - Based on my observations of the cat in my house (by the way, it is the rest of the family's cat, not mine), they are obviously alien beings!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
sgirty, I'm convinced that what we call the "carpet monster" is really one of a entire species of creatures. I haven't a scrap of carpet in our house, all wood floors, but things still manage to get swallowed up by SOMETHING. Now if these plastic parts looked even remotely like food I'd be checking my two dogs for an alibi. I think there is a "carpet" monter, a "rug" monster, a "wood floor" monster, and in your case, some kind of "garage" monster. These things are like Big Foot, or the Abominable Snowman, same species ot the general monster.

Good luck in your search. I'd still check your cats for an alibi.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
That roadwheel is hanging out with all the socks that get lost from the dryer...

Mika
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC

...Lol.....sgirty's got a 17 pound Tom, that hangs on his shoulder?...........it's the CAT, I'm tellin' ya! (said in my best 'Twilight Zone' voice)...The things controlling his mind!.......kinda like that guy dressed in all black on 'Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers' who mind-controlled tha King of Rohan!
We all have to watch out for our good member sgirty......ya gotta admit, his picture does look a lot like King Theodin!!

Tread. #:-) #:-) #:-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi. What can I say Tread, he's my boy! All 17 lbs.and not a ounce of fat on him. All muscle. And scared of his own shadow. Guess it has something to do with the all white fur and blue eyes. He sure tends to wake a person up in the night when he jumps right on top of me when he gets into bed. But I wouldn't trade him for a 1/16 scale Tamiya Tiger with all the goodies and a brand new Hummer. He and the two others have taught me much about their species.

Still no luck on the wheel yet. Will clean all the snow and slush out of the garage tomorrow, if it gets above 0 that is, and give it one good search and then probably 'give up the ghost' on it. Have to make my weekly trip to the hobby store tomorrow anyway, so I'll look for a rather big piece of plastic rod there to make another 'axle/cap' for one of the spare road wheels. Sure glad Academy put a couple extra in that kit for this dunder-headed old fool. I'm pretty certain that when I quite looking for it, it just may turn up one day. It's too d----- big not to.

Am removing the carpeting in the house, one room at a time, and replacing it will wood flooring, but, as halfyank says, it doesn't matter if a modeler has carpeting or not, parts lost are more than likely, parts lost. Goes with the territory and I was overdue.

Take care, Sgirty
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
I don't think floors have anything to do with it. The part just slips into the 4th dimension as it is catapulted by the deft working of our trusty fingers. We, of course, only hear what would have been the sound of the part hitting the floor, not the part itself.(by the way my workroom is basically 'cat' proofed as they do enjoy sitting right smack dab in the middle of whatever i am working on).
capnjock
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am removing the carpeting in the house, one room at a time, and replacing it will wood flooring

And nothing came falling out?!?
btw I have a concrete floor in my garage (and STILL parts get lost), so I'll go with the 4th dimension thought...
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
sgirty,

I haven't lost any parts lately, so the plastic parts troll must have moved to your part of Miamisburg.

The good news is that as soon as you scratch a new part, the troll will put it back where you can find it!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The good news is that as soon as you scratch a new part, the troll will put it back where you can find it!

My money is on that as well. That is the annoying part. What luck you had the spares.
I had an annoying day yesterday as well. First time I got a chance to model in two weeks. I gave my Italeri M4 and M32 a final wash and both idlers on the m32 plus axle parts came off. Then the outer rim of the front sprocket came off. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I think they must have had a lotta stress with Italeris tight tracks and this was the final straw. Funnily enough I built the M4 at the same time and nothing happened it. It has had every stage made at the same time. Im p&%¤#d off just now. I would have completed them today only for that! Maybe its some new virus that only hits modellers!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. Spent part of the day yesterday, on and off, primering the wheels on my 1/25 scale Academy Panther kit. Moving the pieces from the house to the unheated garage, and back again, once the paint fumes had dispersed. (I hate winter anymore! Quite literally.) Anyway, between trips, I lost one of the outer road wheels! Now how in the world I lost one of those rather large 1/25 scale wheels, only the Great Spirit knows for sure. Have looked high and low and gave certain areas the most complete cleaning since we moved in here. And still no wheel. I know it's hiding some place or other, just watching me look everyplace but where it's at. Ha!

I was tempted to accuse one of the cats of 'borrowing' it, but I know they don't like the smell of these primered parts either, even when the paint is dry and cured.

Thankfully, this kit provided 3 spare wheels, so I should be able to get a piece of plastic, either a spure from the kit, or a rod at the store and hopefully make another one to fit inside the center one of these spare wheels. But this is probably a real pain and an unnecessary job that didn't have to be done in the first place.

The main problem was that I was doing about 4 or 5 different things at the same time I was primering these things, so it's no wonder I lost one of them. Going to have to slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time. At least for the next few hours or so. Ha, ha! Brain fry!

If I don't happen to find it in the next couple of days, I'm sure it's gone to that proverbial 'place' somewhere in the house that all these mysterious pieces tend to go once they've slipped beyond out o four sight. But, then again, it may not be in the house either, or this 'dimension' either, as the last time we moved I never found any of the parts that I had lost from any models that I had put together over there .

A proverbial delimma I'm afraid we all sometimes face. Ticks me off, though.

Take care, Sgirty

Without reading any other post allways notice how when you look for something you can never find it until later you look for something else and it turns up try looking for something else and it might by magic appear!!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi. sgtreef, you've got that right. I've run across this more than once, not only concerning models, but other things as well. Just happened to locate a German AFV jack yesterday while looking under a dresser in the back room that, I do beleive, comes out of the Tasca Luch model. Didn't know it was missing, but hey, there it was, nonetheless. So I'll take what I can get from the modeling gods and be eternally grateful.

Unfortunately good old Mother Nature still hasn't seen fit to allow me any quality time out the the garage doing a good search. As both yesterday and today it has started out at -8 and not crept up too far above 0 during the day. I hate winter!!! If that wheel is out there anywhere I would have to guess it's buried under one of those big frozen slush piles, crushed to a pulp by the truck tires. I'd be too lucky to find it whole and intact by now.

Did make it to the hobby store and pick up a plastic hollow piece of tubing that will work nicely in making the new 'axle' to put down in one of the spare road wheels. I can thank my lucky stars that Academy saw fit to include a couple extra wheels in the kit. Good old Acdemy. My hat is off to them.

Take care and good modeling, Sgirty
 _GOTOTOP