_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Side Cutters: Tamiya or Xuron 410
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
Which side cutters for removing parts from sprues would you recommend?

Tamiya or Xuron 410.

Please bear in mind that I live in the UK so unlike the US the price difference is not significant. They are more or less the same price, Tamiya ($16.00) and Xuron ($14.50).

Also I wonder whether I am looking at the correct Tamiya cutters. The price above is for their Side Cutters but I have just seen that they also do Sharp Pointed Side Cutter and that is considerably more expensive ($32.

So with price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Nigel

N.B. Please don't suggest the God Hand SPN-120. I am sure they are lovely but I'm not prepared to pay $75.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:01 PM UTC
I would recommend Tamiya's Sharp Pointed Side Cutter.

I've had many side cutters from different brands and the one I love most are Tamiya's Sharp Pointed Side Cutter.

One recommendation regarding the sharp pointed side cutters: don't use them to cut the thick trees but the part that is holding the part which is thinner. If you want to cut the thick trees use another side cutter because it may damage the side cutters.

Best regards,
Angel
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC
Okay, changing the question somewhat then.

Which of these is the best

The basic Tamiya Side Cutters (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74093modelers_cutter/index.htm)

or

Xuron 410

Cheers,

Nigel
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 04:24 AM UTC
Tools, like paint thinner, are chronically overpriced in the hobby industry..and questionable quality to boot. A small pair of Channellock, DeWalt, Klein, etc are far far superior and usually cheaper...unless I am missing something - does Tamiya have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee?

...and you certainly won't have to worry about damaging your sidecutter on styrene with Channellock!
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 12:40 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

A small pair of Channellock, DeWalt, Klein, etc are far far superior and usually cheaper..

Small pair of what. Are they called sidecutters at general hardware stores as well?[/quote
Yes, indeed they are: so called because one side offers a flush cut against whatever surface it is applied against. In the real world, reserved for electrical and contract work. You can also use amazon. I prefer Channellock or Klein but any reputable brand will do you well- and put the so-called quality hobby brand to shame
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 01:37 PM UTC
As said by Julian forget the Tamiya or Xuron go to a hardware store and get a small pair of electricians / wire mans side cutters or check out the tool traders at a model show. I picked up two pairs for £2 at a show several years ago and still using them without issue.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC
Here you have a video comparison between both:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFE2SA_whPY

The same guide also reviewed the God Hand (which I did not know):
http://goodguydangunpla.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/god-hand-ultimate-nippers.html
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 02:00 PM UTC
This was my thought process.

I want to be able to cut the sprue as close as possible and then finish off with a scapel to end up with a clean unsressed finish.

I already have a number of electronics tools including some miniature side cutters bought from Maplin (like Radio Shack). Whilst these do a job, they do tend to leave small stress marks in the plastic so if I cut close the finish isn't great even after working with a scapel.

My assumption is if I buy a higher quality pair the cut will be cleaner and they will stay sharp for longer.

If that isn't the case, I may as well my cheaper.

Cheers,

Nigel
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 05:05 PM UTC
I've used a number of different side cutters over the years. A little while ago I misplaced my Xuron ones and bought a pair of Tamiya ones- they were good but I didn't think they were as good as the Xuron's so I bought another pair of them. I think they are ace and well worth the money- great cutting action and very durable- in my humble opinion superior (by a small margin) to the Tamiya side cutters.
Nagmakava
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
I have both the Tamiya and the Xuron 410. Both are great but i prefer the Xuron as there a bit more comfy.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:13 AM UTC
Just found this thread and want to add an idea. In the UK do yuo have such a store as a "craft store". If so, check out the beading tools. I have found side cutters an p/ebending tools there. They are marketed for cutting and bending light gauge wire, but work well on plastic.
Just a thought.
 _GOTOTOP