_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Who here owns and uses a MasterCraft.....
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 461 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 09:49 PM UTC
...054-1250-0 Rotary Tool for our hobby: Modeling?

If you do, did you notice if your drill bits or any other kind that you insert in the(not certain of the name) mandrel, does it wobble?

For me, let's say for example, a 1mm drill bit instead of making a 1mm hole, it will make a zero or the letter O.

Any other MasterCraft, Dremel or Jobmate bits will hit my piece multiple times and hit as fast as I press the pedal (I added a pedal) because it wobbles:

I wanted to know if a dremel does wobble or if you found a solution for your MasterCraft?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
I have one, and never noticed any issues like that, but then again, when I am drilling holes that small, I do it by hand.

ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have one, and never noticed any issues like that, but then again, when I am drilling holes that small, I do it by hand.

I've never tried with a big drill. I'll it later today. Thank's for the idea.

Thx ;-)
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC
Is the bit centred in the chuck (the jaws)? If it's not perfectly on the rotation axis, then the tip of the bit will indeed describe a circle as you describe. It is harder to get the bit centred with smaller ones in my experience so you can check if the tool is faulty by fitting a larger bit and seeing whether the problem persists by watching it as you apply power. If that one is centred, it might be that you just need a chuck that is easier to use with small bits. I have one on a shaft of around 2mm diameter which I sometimes use as an alternative to changing collets (my drill has removable collets for different diameter bits but not all do).

Of course if you get the same issue with larger bits too, it sounds as though the drill is faulty and unless you are a machinist, I can't think of a fix other than replacement.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 01:19 AM UTC
Unless it's a precision machine, youll have wobble. Even a Jacobs chuck in a milling machine has some. The cheaper the tool, the worse the quality control and design tolerances seem to be. Its the natuer of the beast. If i want precise, i have a micro chuck, to fit my small screwdriver. I got it thru micromark. Slow drill speed helps.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 03:45 AM UTC
@Robert: Did all that my friend and as Matt said, it's not a precision machine.

And I'll ask (again) my last or 2nd to last question: Does a Dremel wobble? For those that once had or still have a MasterCraft?

And I'm guessing I'll have to go manual for drilling one small hole. But when you need to sand or do the multiple jobs that they are designed to do, going manual will be a bit tedious ;-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:23 AM UTC
Ive noticed my Dremel only really wobbles.with he jacobs chuck. Using the collets, itsuch better.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I'll ask (again) my last or 2nd to last question: Does a Dremel wobble? For those that once had or still have a MasterCraft?

And I'm guessing I'll have to go manual for drilling one small hole. But when you need to sand or do the multiple jobs that they are designed to do, going manual will be a bit tedious ;-)

If you're doing that much stuff to require a rotary tool, get a Dremel. Mine has zero wobble.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you're doing that much stuff to require a rotary tool, get a Dremel. Mine has zero wobble.

Well Gary and Matt, you both answered my question, thank you for that. Dremel ain't wobbling

Thank you guys
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC
I now own a Dremel 3000 and guess what: no wobble

Thx to all.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 11:03 AM UTC
Glad to hear it. Really, the Dremel is one of the best purchases I ever made.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thx again Gary, I'm beginning to really think so too.

Question: do you own the Flexible shaft extension for the drill/tool? If so, still no wobble? Before I get one.

This:

T.I.A.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thx again Gary, I'm beginning to really think so too.

Question: do you own the Flexible shaft extension for the drill/tool? If so, still no wobble? Before I get one.

This:

T.I.A.

Yes, I have the flexi-tool but only used it once with a metal blade to cut some .5mm sheet brass over an hour period. I don't remember any wobble giving me any grief.

Gary
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
If, and I repeat (lol) IF you get a chance, please try it with anything that is straight, like a drill bit or something like that. Plz

Do you own the workstation, do you think it's a nice investment for 39.95$ ?

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC
Yes, I own the workstation too. Using it as a drill press, it's less than ideal. It has plastic parts, so if you are going to drill with it, you need to start the hole by tapping on a nail. Otherwise the bit will drift.

I've used it to hold the Dremel while I worked with the flex-tool. On other occasions with an engravers bit with the RPM set at the lowest (5000) used it to thin the back side of plastic parts that I needed thinned (like the back sides of vents where I wanted the holes open insread of painted black). This way, you hold the plastic parts with two hands giving you ultimate control while the bit spins wobble-free and eats away at the unwanted styrene.

I've actually bumped the spinning engraver's bit with a knuckle and lost no flesh. I imagine at higher RPM's it might have been different. But at higher Rev's, your styrene will melt instead of being steadily chewed away.

Good Luck,

Gary
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 07:38 PM UTC
Thank you Gary for all the nice informations. Very much useful for an old fart like myself.

Take care
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
I also have the flexi-shaft. Don't use it as much as I could, but there are some things for which it really is great. I recommend it.

The work-station sucks. Total waste of money IMHO. No matter what I do I cannot get it to hold the Tool perpendicular to the work surface, so even as a drill press I find it wanting. Have been interested in the rotary tool and drill press stand Proxxon makes, as I have a precision vice from them which I like a lot. Probably have to wait till my next trip to Japan to pick one up--much cheaper that way.

ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have the flexi-shaft. Don't use it as much as I could, but there are some things for which it really is great. I recommend it.

Thank you, confirms what I've read

Quoted Text

The work-station sucks. Total waste of money IMHO.

Thank you again
 _GOTOTOP