_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
ICM brand, yes or no?
thedude
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
i saw some of these kits for cheap. i doubt they are tamiya but are they worth messing with? i bought a 4$ airplane model one time in the grocery store.. i believe it was 1/48 scale. none of the peices really fit but i dont remember the brand.. that was a painful experience and i dont want another one... it was almost painful. haha any input is appreciated
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
Depends on the kit The Ural 4320 is a Nice one.......ICM is out of Buisnes now
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:02 AM UTC
Actually, ICM is now Alanger. You can get their stuff at www.alanger.us. They run specials quite often, many times as high as %50 off.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
There does seem to be a bunch on ebay very cheap. I have a 3-4 of these kits. I have built the US/arab terrorist figure set and they weren't too bad. The detail on the figures was pretty nice although they did have alot of sinkholes and flash, plus a very thick coat of greasy releasing solution from the molds. I had to wash the sprues with a old tooth brush several times to get it all off. All the other ICM kits I have seem to have that same thick oily coating.
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:14 AM UTC
Yeah, that's Max from Alanger that lists those kits.
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Yeah, I bought a bunch of ICM kits from Alanger on ebay. I bought all of the figure sets they offer, and I was extremely impessed by all of them except for the panzergrenadiers. I also bought a bunch of tanks, and I look forward to building them! Some of them are really nice. So since they are so cheap, go for it
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
I bought most all of the figures as well. have doubles and triples of some. The figures are pretty nice, but sometimes they have sink marks in the thicker areas. The armor kits are fairly decent, but yeah, they seem to be pretty heavy on the mold release sometimes, but that's easy enough to take care of.
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:18 PM UTC
I heard that ICM is out of business and now it is Alanger.

Strange thing is that the dealers here still got stock replenishment, but Alanger is always out of stock. For the same thing Alanger is 20-30% cheaper.

Heard that the T28 and T35 are quite ok for an Eastern European company.
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
entire network: 339 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
I've got some ICM at home (mainly figures in 1/35) and they are great... Well detailed and pieces fit very well... It's sad that they are out of business, and I don't believe that Alanger is capable of putting up a structure able to fill all the request at least for now...Let's wait and see

See Yaaa
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
ICM offer some nice kits and make for the more unusual model. I like them, and with a little putty, patience and some tender loving care you could have a quite decent model.
Go for them when they´re cheap, especially kits that the major producers dont make. Sink holes can be filled, release agent can be washed off and flash can be trimmed or sanded away. Afterall, this is modelling. I enjoy the challenge of these kits.
thedude
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
thanks for the unput guys. i got some figure kits. the one i was looking at mainly was a cheap tank for like 10$. some eastern germany light armor thing. i might give it a try
 _GOTOTOP