General items for sale by poster.
A tale of two trades.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 1,217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 09:53 AM UTC
OK, I've a question around onus when it comes to trades. First example is (A) and I agree to a trade, and we both dispatch our respective kits to the other.

Neither of us request, or offer tracking.

Several weeks go by, and (A) acknowledges receipt of the kit I sent him; I reply that his to me hasn't arrived yet. Several more weeks go by and still nothing. In my mind I write it off, and tell him so. (A) insists on sending another kit. Which, to date, still hasn't arrived. I accept it as a loss and go buy the kit I was after. Life moves on.

Second example: (B) and I agree to a trade and duly post out the kits. A few weeks later, I acknowledge receipt of his kit to me, and note that it is significantly water damaged. No reply. And no, the packaging of the kit is not water damaged.

Several months later, (B) PMs me that he still hasn't received his kit. No mention of the water damage on my kit. He offers to accept a cash settlement in lieu of a kit, or for me to make another offer.

Neither of us requested, or offered tracking.

Now, here's the rub. When you enter into a trade, you only have the other person's word that the kit was sent, so in the event that a kit does go AWOL, who, if anyone, is liable, if at all?

I recently investigated a postal theft at work, some twat sent two functional pistols in the post, and they were stolen, what a surprise. In the course of that investigation, talking to the postmaster of the depot, he said that typically 27 000 items a day passed through the depot, and on that day there were 4 items lost, and they managed to find three of them. So, only 1 item in 27 000 goes missing (and it happened to be two pistols!).

I'd like to see what others have to say on the matter.

thank you,

Kylie
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC
At the least, I'd recommend paying for tracking. As far as who is liable, who will ever know without tracking?

As far as damaged goods, maybe exchanging timestamped pictures of the goods to be traded?

Otherwise it's his word versus yours, and your respective consciousnesses as to how you resolve the issue.

Best of luck,

Gary
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 2,493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
Always get a tracking number, pay the very very small few for insurance and get pics of the items before making the transaction. This is pretty much standard practice when dealing with people and buying/trading items.
vahleof
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:29 PM UTC
Yeah like previously said, get tracking
If non tracking package is absolutely must be used for sake of saving a few $$
for all international package there is always a custom form to be completed, which can is accepted as proof of shipment.
and technically if item get lost in mail, if you ask the postal service, they will say it's the sender's responsibility because as soon as the receive didn't get the package the item still belongs to the sender, in postal service hands, so to speak.
Some postal service offers insurance on loss & damage for regular non trackable international small pack (like Canada Post) and God knows how that works, if item gets lost you might be fighting for half a year to get your insurance back.
and I think most country postal service include tracking for regional service, well at least for US and Canada....
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,816 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC
If you don't want to get tracking/insurance, you can keep your receipt of postage costs of sending the item. That's some proof if there's some troubles.

On the receipt should at least be the date of transaction and your Post office header info. In the US, it even has the postal code destination of the item. If I have any problems, I can then scan the receipt showing I mailed something out the date I said I would to the same general area.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 1,217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:46 AM UTC
thank you, gentlemen, the matter has been resolved and lessons learned. I would like to extend my gratitude to (B), he knows who he is, and would trade with him again, in confidence, if the opportunity arose.

Kylie
 _GOTOTOP