_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Photo etched ?? D9r
Pdxglide
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi guys, I'm new to building models so please bare with me if my questions sound like a child is asking them. I just bought the Meng D9R armored bulldozer. I purchased the aftermarket tracks from fiulmodels so am waiting for those to arrive. In the mean time I've been doing all the research I can about the model and I wanted to get some opinions on the photo etched parts from eduard

What is the big difference between the stock parts and PE parts? They're both going to be painted so is it worth it to purchase them? I'm assuming there's a point to it all I just don't know what it is. And if it's necessary to get them for is specific model. Help please. Thank you
Pat |
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:22 PM UTC
First of all welcome Patrick

Now if your new to modelling and haven't as yet touched pe I would suggest you don't get a set for your kit until you have built a kit with a little bit included. If you get a pe set as a beginner it would most likely put you off ever doing any again, you'll also need a couple of extra tools and work with CA (super glue) and or 'Gator grip/glue' (a sort of advanced PVA) even in some rare cases solder.

PE generally is used where the plastic can't be made thin enough due to the limitation of the process, however some sets do seem to replace plastic parts because they can rather than need to.

Please don't get me wrong, if you think you can dive into the pe as a beginner do so but you may want to be prepared for some frustration.

Regarding Eduard and PE, PE is their bread and butter, it's what they do, their kits came along after. Although I can't comment on the set your talking about if you check their website and the set you can download the instruction as a PDF so you can check it out before purchase.

Hope that is of some help
Pdxglide
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thank you for the info I appreciate it. I think I will wait and try PE stuff on a different model.

Quoted Text

First of all welcome Patrick

Now if your new to modelling and haven't as yet touched pe I would suggest you don't get a set for your kit until you have built a kit with a little bit included. If you get a pe set as a beginner it would most likely put you off ever doing any again, you'll also need a couple of extra tools and work with CA (super glue) and or 'Gator grip/glue' (a sort of advanced PVA) even in some rare cases solder.

PE generally is used where the plastic can't be made thin enough due to the limitation of the process, however some sets do seem to replace plastic parts because they can rather than need to.

Please don't get me wrong, if you think you can dive into the pe as a beginner do so but you may want to be prepared for some frustration.

Regarding Eduard and PE, PE is their bread and butter, it's what they do, their kits came along after. Although I can't comment on the set your talking about if you check their website and the set you can download the instruction as a PDF so you can check it out before purchase.

Hope that is of some help

_GOTOTOP