_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Looking for a short-tipped reamer tool
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 01:28 PM UTC
I used to have a nice one but it vanished. I have been looking for a reamer tool with a short tip for expanding holes in plastic such as necks on figures once I have drilled them out, tire/road-wheels so they mount on axles better. i have a nice collection of drill bits, I have plenty of hand files. I have searched eBay, the usual model sites, several model vendors/manufactures but the nearest I can come to what I need is a 'knife edge reamer'.
Anyone know of a reliable site that sells a variety of short-tipped reamers (there are plenty of long reamers out there, but they are too long to fit into the aforementioned places).
Thanks,
Ironmike
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:38 PM UTC
You might try looking for drill burrs. They come in various shapes and sizes, I've got metal and diamond grit coated ones. I got mine off ebay a while back and aren't very expensive plus they can be used by hand for delicate work.

Kimmo
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hiya Kimmo,
I have used drill bits but wanted to get an actual tool with a handle, much like the one I had that now resides in the dark empire somewhere.
I have a couple of nice mini-drill I got from Micro Mark, but the largest drill bit is still too small. perhaps I will just locate some of my spare drill bits and fashion a handle.
Ciao,
IronMike
sauron
entire network: 134 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC
Mike,

What you are looking for are called cutting broaches. You can find several kinds and sets on ebay. I have a Mascot set of 6 different sizes and they work for plastic, wood, and soft metal. Check that out and see if that isn't what you're looking for.

Rick
 _GOTOTOP