_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Alumilite casting kits from Hobby Lobby
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:43 AM UTC
Any one used one of these kits? Look like everything you need is in the kit, and I have a project that would probably lend itself to it well. I was wondering about the durability of the resin you eventually cast the part out of. Or, is there a better kit out there? The Alumilite kits is $30, and comes with the silicone for the mold, resin for the part, molding clay, some mixing cups and sticks. I've looked at Smooth-On, I like their products, but I'm not really into a $50+ commitment for silicone and resin (roughly $25 for each). Not to mention, not 100% sure what I need; frankly they have too many options for the beginner. I have a small part to cast, I've thought about how to mold it when the time comes, and I've really always wanted to try this out. I'm not at the jumping off point just yet, but it's coming I think, so any guidance would be appreciated!
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:53 AM UTC
I used that kit and it works just fine. Remember that resins have a shelf life and once opened they need to be used relatively quickly for best performance. Once air gets into the container the resin can become susceptible to foaming when mixed with the hardener if stored for a long time.

Cheers,
Paul H
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply, so the resin isn't brittle in that Alumulite kit?

Smooth-on has a started kit as well, priced $52...that's a bit steep I think.
excrewchief
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:15 AM UTC
I have used that kit a lot probibly have made close to a hundred molds with no issues at all . If you get it from hobby lobby don't forget the 40% coupon. then you can get the bigger kit for the same or less it becomes addicting and fun to do .good luck .
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Smooth-on has a started kit as well, priced $52...that's a bit steep I think.

Personally I prefer Smooth-on over Alumilite. Granted it's based on when they only had the 7 min working time resin (I just couldn't mix, pour and get in the pressure pot fast enough)... but I've also been using the Smooth-on resin well past the expiration date, with no ill effects.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once air gets into the container the resin can become susceptible to foaming when mixed with the hardener if stored for a long time.

Hi Paul,

That's incorrect. Foaming is caused by moisture in the resin. What you're seeing is the resin curing, generating heat, and causing the moisture to boil, which results in what looks like foaming. Resin will keep long past any expiration as long as it isn't allowed to acquire moisture, which is simple to do just by remembering to close the container back up when finished.

Jon
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I prefer Smooth-on over Alumilite. Granted it's based on when they only had the 7 min working time resin (I just couldn't mix, pour and get in the pressure pot fast enough)... but I've also been using the Smooth-on resin well past the expiration date, with no ill effects.

I'm with Matt on this one. I found the cheaper sets (esp. Alumalite) don't work as well. The RTV doesn't hold the details well and tends to break down after only a short time of use. Likewise, their resins are thick and don't fill the molds fully, resulting in bubbles and poor details. They also tend to loose their potency and expire pretty quickly.

For my money, I would rather get the superior Smooth-On products. As the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for."
 _GOTOTOP