_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Photoetch frustrations . . .
kmelkiise
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
Folks, I need your thoughts. I bought the Tamiya T-55a as my way of getting back into modeling. I wanted to make the kit as accurate as possible, so I bought an extensive Voyager photoetch set. I have only used photoetch for engine grills for my Tamiya kits. Well, I tried the voyager set on Sunday and I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have ever tried. I eventually had to give up. The photoetch looks beautiful on the box, but the small pieces drove me nuts. The microscopic small parts and bending made me eventually give up. Plus the soldering and super glue was a pain. God knows I tried, but it was too difficult and intricate.

What are your thoughts? Are these large photoetch sets a must have for you? Do any of you feel it's not worth the effort? Just wanted your experiences. I am not criticizing anybody who uses it, I just found it almost impossible for me personally. Thanks for your time.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:50 AM UTC
For me,I can't do the tiny stuff either.The hasps,clamps,hinges and so forth are beyond me.Just screens,plates,fenders and the like is what I can handle.

For those who do,it is very impressive though.
kmelkiise
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:30 AM UTC
I agree with that, very impressive!
EHAM0624
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

If want to "getting back into modeling" don't use big etch sets (waste of money), only use small (if you want to use any at all),.. Same problem with me I also gave up at first but now use what I can from sets gradually using more and more, it's like on therapeutical basis,..

krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 473 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:23 AM UTC
Good for tripling or quadrupling build time. A number of special tools are needed as well. Not for the faint of heart! Kudo's for trying!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC
The beginning of my foray into etch was much like yours. I eventually gave, having ruined a $40 kit and $30 worth of etch. However, I enjoy a challenge and am a glutton for punishment. My recommendation is to start with a cheap set of etch, don't expect for all of it to turn out, and learn from your mistakes. Practice makes perfect.
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:59 AM UTC
My views on photo etch are pretty much open. I will note that not all of the parts in most PE kits are used. I use the ones that make the model look the way I want it to. I've built kits wit absolutely no PE and enjoyed them and I've built kits with 3 large sheets of brass and had a blast. There is no right answer. This is a hobby, not a job, so do what you like and try something new every once in a while so you don't get bored but never do something you don't enjoy...

Just my .02 cents

Paul H
 _GOTOTOP