_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Clear Flat Coat
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 02:25 AM UTC
I have been painting a model with Tamiya acrylic paint. I have sprayed it with Tamiya acrylic clear gloss and applied the decals. Now I am ready for the clear flat coat. I tried Tamiya acrylic flat base, just on the back of the propeller blades and it look like the frosting you put on a Christmas tree. I wiped it off with alcohol. I don’t know if it looked that way because it was raining today and it was humid or I sprayed it too close but I am looking for other options. Can anyone recommend another clear flat that will work on Tamiya acrylic paint? Thanks.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
A common mistake. Flat base is a flattening agent, not a clear coat. You can add it to glossy Tamiya paints to get a matte or semi-gloss finish, and you can add it to Future for similar results.

Kimmo
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC
Arts and Crafts Stores ( Michaels et al) sell a Matte Semi Matte and gloss coats called Delta Cerama coat.
All Are odor free Acrylic Based Dry in about ten minutes and can be used straight from the bottle with no mixing or thinning required
You can actually extend the time with their flo aid extender.
All are very inexpensive and last forever.
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:10 PM UTC
Thudius, you were right that was the wrong product. I thought I would try Model Master clear flat in an aerosol can, since it was available locally. It might work OK for some applications but it went on too thick and just about messed up a part. I wanted something I could apply with my airbrush so I could have better control. I searched allot of on line forums and there was one finish that everyone that had used it liked and it was Alclad II Klear Kote Flat. I ordered a bottle and it worked well. It dries very quickly and with one or two light coats you have a dead flat finish.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC
I never had any success with the Tamiya flat base--would not even blend into Tamiya gloss; however, if you thin Tamiya paints with Isopropyl Alcohol you will get a dead-flat finish. Years ago I used to use Testors Dull-cote with great success, but have not been able to get it overseas so have been using Vallejo Matt base. Have to be careful with it though because if you overdo it you'll get a hazy finish as it doesn't dry perfectly clear.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC
I have always used Testors Dull Coat, with no issues. You can spray it straight from the bottle or thing, with lacquer thinner. I was not too impressed, with Testors lusterless flat from a can(or any other aerosol).
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm with Matt. Testors Dull Cote works great out of an airbrush. Stay away from the spraycan version, though. The can's output is too great, causing you to end up with more of a satin finish.
 _GOTOTOP