_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting over Alclad
Sheehan1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:32 AM UTC
I have just completed Alclading my Trumpeter 1/48th Super Sabre and very happy with the result as it has only been my second attempt with Alclad. I applied the Alclad black undercoat and everything going fine. I just now realised that the back section of the fuselage has a burnt steel colour.
My questions are:
1. Can I mask Alclad 11. Polished aluminium. If yes how long should I let it cure.
2. Can I then paint over it with an enamal (probably Tamiya Burnt steel enamel
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Laurie.

I can help with your first question, I have masked over Alclad plenty of times using either Tamiya tape or post-it notes and never had the Alclad lift. I use Tamiya acrylic as the base coat.

I don't use enamels at all, but Tamiya and Mr Colour acrylics work fine over the Alclad.

Cheers, D
Sheehan1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:33 AM UTC
Thanks heaps. That answers both my questions. I will just use Tamiya acrylic for the tail exhaust section
Sheehan1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
I just read an article that says you can mask ordinary Alclad but not the highly polished colours like Polished aluminium.
Any suggestions for how to cover the rear section to replicate the after burner discolouring which all the Huns have.
Any suggestions also for the colour to use. The kit suggests burnt iron but most of the completed models I have seen seem to have a copper/gold colour
 _GOTOTOP