_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Post WWII U.S./Soviet armor kits
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 326 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hello to All,
I have a couple of questions concerning post WWII U.S. and Soviet armor.
I'd like to build some kits in "adversarial" roles. Such as M-48 verses T-55.
So, would the following be correct?
M-48 T-55
M-60-A1 T-62
M-60-A3 T-72
M-1A1 T-80
M-1A2 T-90
I realize there would be an overlap among the various models and times of service, but was thinking these would be the most current [at the time] matches between the newest and best each country had.
I'm looking for cheap as in inexpensive and decent builds in 1/35. Which kits for Soviet T-72's, T-80's and T-90's would you recommend for ease of assembly and decent accuracy? I know there are older Dragon kits of T-72's and T-80's but I'm not thrilled about them. I've built a Dragon T-80 and isn't wasn't the easiest kit to assemble, but the sticking point for me was the main gun. I'm not choosy when it comes to a lot of things but the size of the barrel on that particular kit didn't look right even to me. I was wondering about the Esci T-72. If the barrel is the right scale and everything else is generally correct [proportions/shape] I'd be happy. I don't want to put $40.00 and up in a kit. Also, I read a review about the Zvezda T-90 kit being pretty good.
Any and all comments/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thats a cool idea you have there Joe. I can't speak directly about the T-55 but at the minute the old Tamiya kit is probably still the best out there but I haven't built one yet so I can't say for sure how it is but I know it is very popular. For a T-62 I reckon your best bet is Trumpeter- I've built one of them and it went together very nicely. Again for a T-72 you are probably looking at Trumpeter if you want the best- the cheapest are the Dragon/Zvezda offerings but as you seem to have already have experience with them then you will know they are not that good. The T-80- best bet again would probably be Trumpeter.
As for the T-90 you have a broader choice there between Meng, Zvezda and Trumpeter. I doubt any of them can challenge Zvezda on price- for me the Zvezda went together really nicely- but there are some accuracy problems- the biggest flaw being the height of the suspension which has the tank sitting too high. From what I've read the Meng and Trumpeter kits don't have that flaw and are generally very nice according to the reviews.

Anyway, hopes this gives you some useful info. I'm sure others around here will chime in too.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 326 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi Karl,
Thanks for your response. I'm not looking for the "latest & greatest" when it comes the kits. I'm looking for the cheapest and easy to build with decent "looks" when finished.
I have an Esci T-55 and a Tamiya T-62. I've built them before and they are "good enough" for me. The Dragon T-72/80's would be o.k. but the barrel just makes the whole kit appear strange. That is why I was wondering how the Zvezda kits compare to the Dragon kits..
Would still appreciate hearing from others out there as to what ideas you have.
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:10 AM UTC
During Desert Storm, Marine M-60a3's encountered a mixed force of T-54/55, Type 69, and T-72's.

Egypt also fielded M-60's during Desert Storm, though it isn't known if they saw combat.

My unit drove south through Kuwait city after it had been secured and saw that some of those poor tankers were parked amongst some extinguished though still spewing oil fields. Their tanks were coated black.

Best wishes,

Gary
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:37 AM UTC
Yom Kippur war footage also shows M-48 vs T-55 though there are also images of T-34/85's and SU-85's present. Recently watched a documentary called "The War in October" which is chock full of diorama inspirations.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP