_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Gameof Thrones Dragon and female figure
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
I recently completed this model.
I purchased the dragon from a dealer at a car boot. It is actually an ornament but I saw it and thought....I can do something with that.

I have wanted to do something with a Game of Thrones theme for some time and it fit the bill.
The model comes with a sword which I discarded...dragons don't use swords! And it is painted black....ideal I can put a few coats of paint on that. I airbrushed the Dragon with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics, my fav. medium for painting. Once there was a few coats on it started to take shape.

I decided as there was alot of good raised detail I thought some dry brushing would lift it.....I know some ppl disagree with dry brushing, but it does have a place in modelling still.

I painted grey on the base and dry brushed the rock areas too.
I thought at this point it needs a figure. I looked through my stash....nothing really looked right. Then I remembered I had bought some resin figures for the sci fi build and checked what I had...low and behold there was a 1/35 female warrior. Bonus!
I built her up and tried her for size.

Not bad. Not sure if she looks right there though. I started to paint her up to whilst adding small touches to the Dragon, eyes painted teeth and mouth.

I looked at the Dragon and wondered where I can put her.....she came with a small pedstal which was basically a rock....mmmmmm maybe here

Looks ok but she doesn't sit right.
I mixed some milliput and sculptured some rock area and sat her in it...perfect.
Now I finished on painting her up

And sit her in place.
Looks good. One problem.....Dragon was holding a sword? Now he hold thin air....not good.

I need something in his claws.....mmmmm maybe sculpt a small head. I had a small resin skull, so I mixed up more Milliput...should have thought about this when I mixed the other lot up. I added a spine, eyes (one hanging out) shaped more to the head, a windpipe, and entrails veins etc. Now painting the head. I youtubed painting gore and found a great little vid. I painted the head as advised with red and black ink as it dries wet looking, and painted the eyes. Now I wanted there to be some skin so I used tissue paper in small strips and placed it on the semi wet head.....bonus it sticks and painted that the same ink red/black, woo it goes matt too on the tissue.

Tried it for size and it fits lovely into the Dragons grip.

Really enjoyed building this and as the wife is a fan of Thrones she loves it so will be taking pride of place downstairs. She is not too keen on the gory head though makes her feel sick. I said don't look at it when you eat your dinner then.

Final pictures of finished model.

Comments welcome.

Pete
KelticKnot
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 768 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
This reminds me of one of those old enchantica dragons that I recall seeing years ago but i suppose they are still around. The sculpts were pretty good but i was never a fan of the garish colours.

Liking your work with this piece and the painting of the warrioress.
The severed head is awful.

In a GREAT way !!!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments Paul

Pete
PeeDee
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:49 PM UTC
by gum that's a big feller Pete!

and I thought I was off my trolley with some of the large pieces I

make.

a lovely combination, but a bugger to carry around eh

well done Bro

paul
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thanks Paul

It is big but not too big. Warrioress is 1/35 so you can estimate the dragon. I think I am finding my way a little with the acrylics for figures.

Cheers bud

Pete
 _GOTOTOP