_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Fruil quality lately..
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
more accurately, Fruil quality control lately..

Is anyone else noticing that ALL the links are needing to be drilled lately?

Fighting my way through a set of the PT76 links and have had to drill the top AND bottom sides of EVERY one of the 200 links in the set.
All of the sections of every link needed drilling, not cleaning, not opening, not reaming, but actually required drilling through.

I was talking with a guy on Facebook and he's in the same boat with a set on M88 links

Is this the 'state of the art' fron Fruil lately?
I seem to remember not needing to do this with sets in the past.

I know there are a couple of different schools of thought on assembly.
One using brass wire cut to length and pushing through the blockages with tweezers or pliers.

But the real question here is if Fruil's quality (or quality control) is slipping
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
I just had to do the very same thing with a set of Fruil T-40 tracks. I had to drill every hole on every tiny link! Very difficult and frustrating. Maybe Fruil's molds are getting old?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just had to do the very same thing with a set of Fruil T-40 tracks. I had to drill every hole on every tiny link! Very difficult and frustrating. Maybe Fruil's molds are getting old?

Good to hear from you Matt, we did not get a chance to chat at Armorcon, you had a full plate... -grin-
But thanks for the medal.

Sorry to hear you had the same troubles Jeff and I are having.

Am I right in remembering that back right after the switch from pinch together links, this was not so much an issue? Or am I just getting old/wishful thinking.

Mike
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC
I have switched to using mostly Master Club tracks, I find the quality of Friuls not great for the price charged. Also, Master Club use resin pins, making them easier to assemble with less wire cutting.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:31 PM UTC
I've always had to drill through every link in every set of Fruils I've made.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I right in remembering that back right after the switch from pinch together links, this was not so much an issue? Or am I just getting old/wishful thinking.

Mike

Hi Mike, sorry we didn't get to catch up at Armorcon, but that's the nature of being the boss at a show that busy. I hope you guys enjoyed Armorcon.
I definitely agree with you, older tracks were less clogged. I looked at my shelves and a set of KV tracks I put together 15 years ago went together easily, only 2 or 3 of 180 (or so) needed clearing. Sets recently purchased need significant drill work. So your memory is still intact. As I said, perhaps their molds are getting old.
 _GOTOTOP