_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Worst set of Fruils ever?? ATL 97??
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
Just venting, but having spent a good chunk of the bench time lately drilling (not cleaning, not reaming, but DRILLING) out the three segments on both sides of all 200 links for these PT76 tracks, I'm less than thrilled.

Aside from the question of why abandon the simple to use and sturdy enough original 'pinch' links, are other recent Fruil releases requiring actually drilling both sides of every stinking link?

I just finished up an old shelf queen T62 with a set of older Fruil tracks, and did not have to drill all those albeit larger links.

PT76 links are not huge (Tiger/King Tiger) but they're not tiny Sdkfz250/ M113 either.

Is this the best Fruil can do, or is this set an anomaly?

Mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just venting, but having spent a good chunk of the bench time lately drilling (not cleaning, not reaming, but DRILLING) out the three segments on both sides of all 200 links for these PT76 tracks, I'm less than thrilled.

Aside from the question of why abandon the simple to use and sturdy enough original 'pinch' links, are other recent Fruil releases requiring actually drilling both sides of every stinking link?

I just finished up an old shelf queen T62 with a set of older Fruil tracks, and did not have to drill all those albeit larger links.

PT76 links are not huge (Tiger/King Tiger) but they're not tiny Sdkfz250/ M113 either.

Is this the best Fruil can do, or is this set an anomaly?

Mike

I built these a while ago and had to drill out every link- I've had to do that with every Fruil kit I've ever bought- tedious? Well you know what I mean as you've just done it! I use an electric drill stood on its battery and its quick enough once you get going. Worst ones I had to do were E-100 tracks- the links are huge and there's just so many! The pile of metal shavings from the drilling was massive!
 _GOTOTOP