_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from Oklahoma
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 2,493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hello,

My name is Dustin, Its been a long time since Ive built any models.

Ive been lurking around here at everybodies models, wow.. you guys have some amazing talent.

Id like to get back into modeling again, but Id like to build better models than just out of the box. Where are some good places to buy detail sets, paints, glue, brushes and even models for that matter.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dustin
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,896 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi Dustin;

The Hobby can be some-what hard to source at times, I dont know what area of OK; you live in, but look to your area Hobby Shops or even A Hobby Lobby if you have any in your area. Craft Stores are another source for supplies, you mite have to Mail Order on Items that you can not get otherwise.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:53 AM UTC
Mike,
Thanks for the reply sir!

I was looking for a good online store? I'm too far away from our good hobby shop.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
Welcome Dustin. Glad that you joined up. This is a great site with lots of helpful folks. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have.

Here are the two places that I buy almost all of my modeling supplies from.

Squadron

Tower Hobbies

Tower Hobbies looks like it is mostly remote control stuff but they have a little of everything. They sell all kinds of kits, modeling supplies, etc. and they are really fast on their shipping. I have always had good luck with both companies and have no complaints with them.

Randy

Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:18 AM UTC
Randy,

Thank you for the reply sir!

My skills are on the level of a new modeler. Lol

But I want to further my knowledge and skills to be able to build nice models. So I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Lol

Thanks for the help sir!

Cheers,
Dustin
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My skills are on the level of a new modeler. Lol

I have been in this hobby for many years and I still consider myself a novice. Don't ever let your skill level hold you back. Enjoy your hobby and remember that you are building kits for yourself and not for others.

Another place to do some shopping would be at a local dollar store if there is one in your community. They are a great place to buy things such as white glue, super glue, Q-tips, tooth picks, paper towels, cheap brushes, clamps, tweezers, scissors, rubber bands, storage boxes, pliers, etc. They are a handy place to stock up on modeling tools without spending a lot of money.

Enjoy.

Randy
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Randy,

That sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for that tip.

Whats your preference on paints and washes and such, as far as manufacturer?

Cheers,
Dustin
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,896 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Dustin;

As this is going to be A Learning expirence, it is going to be what you like useing. It would be Adviseable to invest on A How Too magazine and use it as A source of reference. As for Paints there are Enamels and Water Based paints to pick from. Enamels are some-what Harder to use as they require Paint Thinners. Tamiya, Testors, Model Masters, are all Good Brands. IMHO I would suggest useing the Water Based paints first, as they are more easy to work with and require less Clean-Up. This Hobby can be real expensive and extra details will add up Real Fast. On your first kits I would say just Build Out of the Box; (OOB) And Have Fun, And Don't be Afraid if you Make A Mistake. Study your Instructions First and Cross reference them with your Parts even before you cut them off the Trees.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whats your preference on paints and washes and such, as far as manufacturer?

I mainly use Model Master and Tamiya paints. Both have their good and bad points. For spray paint cans, the poor mans air brush , I use Tamiya paints. And when finishing up I use Testors Gloss-Cote and Dull-Cote spray. For weathering I have a set of earth tone pastels that I use. I enjoy using pastels for weathering as opposing to using paints as it is easy to clean up pastel if you make a mistake.

Hope that helps some.

Randy
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Those tips are dually noted!
 _GOTOTOP