_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
1970s Carrier Catapult Toy/Model
landshark
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
Goofy, reliving my childhood question:

Back around 1976-79 there was a really neat toy that consisted of a large carrier that launched a fairly detailed phantom on a string for a few feet and then the plane would slide back down and you had to land it. Does anyone remember what it was called and who made it?
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:57 PM UTC
I used to have a similar one, I think it was called Flightdeck. The top of the plane had a wire bracket that fitted over a piece of "fishing line". The fishing line was attached to the top of a toy joystick and was fastened to a door handle or something at a similar height. The plane was fired from a catapult powered by rubber bands, it flew up the string and as it slowed the plane would swivel round to face the joystick and slide back. You had to land it by pushing the joystick forward so its wheels hit the front of the flightdeck and it would stop. Good fun! I'm sure I've seen similar ones for sale on ebay.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:28 AM UTC
Brandydog your'e right with the name, and it was made or at least marketed by Airfix, I always wanted one as a kid but Santa never came through for me

I also think I've seen them on Ebay.

Happy modelling
Ant
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
I had one!
With that and a Vertibird, I was a very happy kid!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
Linkage...

Shaun

http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/superflightdeck.htm
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
Kind of had a home made version of that as a once-a-year contest at the local IPMS chapter. (don't know if they still do), but you could have any kind of model as long as it had a tail hook on it slide down a wire and catch (hopefully) a wire. I never saw a panzer whatever fly. You had to 'qual' with one daytime (lights on) trap and one night time (lights off) trap. I clipped two pen light flashlights on the wings of a very heAvily modified F-16. Looked nice, but I never had a successful trap I don't recall....

Good fun.
 _GOTOTOP