_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How much do you know about lacquer?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:27 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
I've been steadily going though my Testors Gloss Coat, and hpjust realized pthat I have the better part of a gallon of Lacquer sitting in my shed catching dust. But it's still looks new. Is there really any diffence between the stuff in the small bottle and the stiff in the large can?

Thanks for reading,

Gary
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,
I've been steadily going though my Testors Gloss Coat, and hpjust realized pthat I have the better part of a gallon of Lacquer sitting in my shed catching dust. But it's still looks new. Is there really any diffence between the stuff in the small bottle and the stiff in the large can?

Thanks for reading,

Gary

Gary,
Testors Glosscoat is a lacquer based clear coat, as is their Dullcoat. Straight lacquer thinner is just that, a thinning agent. If you're asking if can thin both with it, yes you can. I did that for years on end. Just make sure that the 1st coat or two is a light misting to create a base coat.

Joel
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:25 AM UTC
Sometimes the cheaper lacquer thinner could be hotter , sometimes it can melt the plastic , however if you are spraying the chances of that happening is zero . It's brushing it that you have to take care .
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:07 PM UTC
What edmund said ^^

Careful with hot lacquer thinners. Concentration can vary from industrial, commercial, and recreational usage and from brand to brand.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 02:07 PM UTC
Sorry fellas, I must not have made my point clearly. What I mean to say is that I have a gallon of Lacquer sitting in my shed. Not lacquer thinner. I have a lacquer thinner called "reducer 265". It eats plastic, but I do use it to thin the Glosscoat.

I was trying to ask if my gallon of Lacquer was much different from Testors Gloss Coat. I can't decide whether I'm being cheap or prudent...but part of me really hates wasting stuff.

Thank you for answering,

Gary
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry fellas, I must not have made my point clearly. What I mean to say is that I have a gallon of Lacquer sitting in my shed. Not lacquer thinner. I have a lacquer thinner called "reducer 265". It eats plastic, but I do use it to thin the Glosscoat.

I was trying to ask if my gallon of Lacquer was much different from Testors Gloss Coat. I can't decide whether I'm being cheap or prudent...but part of me really hates wasting stuff.

Thank you for answering,

Gary

Gary,
Honestly, over the years I've read and seen guys use just about every type of clear lacquer. Air brushed and thinned correctly it will work as you're applying such a thin/light layer. Whether or not that lacquer won't yellow over time is another issue.

For the $5-6 for a bottle of Testors Glosscoat, do yourself a favor and go with it. Just the consistency factors should be enough to tip the scales.

I used both Glosscoat and Dullcoat since the 70s, and continued to use them when I came back to modeling. But recently I decided to stop using lacquer products as much as possible because of the smell that does give me a headache these days. And yes, I do have a spray booth, but don't use it all that often as I prefer to air brush at my work bench. What I've gone to is hand brushing Pledge for small applications, and Winsor & Newton's Acrylic Gloss & Matt UV Varnishes. I thin them with Tamiya's X20-A and a little Flow Enhancer.
Joel
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Joel,
Thanks for writing again. I didn't know that lacquer yellowed. The only real lacquer work I'd seen before was that attractive black lacquer and mother of pearl decorated furniture done in a Japanese style.
I'd bought the lacquer for a project that I messed up and let lie too long, losing interest. So now I have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe if I leave the top off, it will solidify.

Gary
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:20 PM UTC
I've to come to find out that nothing beats dead flat that Testors flat coat can give you if you "mix" it properly. Basically let the paint settle, you'll have a thick slimey goo at the bottom with a lighter amber clear liquid on top.

Pour out the amber liquid into a clean container, then get some of the goo at the bottom into another container. Take some of the amber liquid and pour it into goo to thin it a bit, then take some lacquer thinner to thin the mixture and then spray it. I've had no problems with it reacting to Tamiya, Vallejo paint or Mr Paint colors.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've to come to find out that nothing beats dead flat that Testors flat coat can give you if you "mix" it properly. Basically let the paint settle, you'll have a thick slimey goo at the bottom with a lighter amber clear liquid on top.

Pour out the amber liquid into a clean container, then get some of the goo at the bottom into another container. Take some of the amber liquid and pour it into goo to thin it a bit, then take some lacquer thinner to thin the mixture and then spray it. I've had no problems with it reacting to Tamiya, Vallejo paint or Mr Paint colors.

I've just been shaking the bottle and then thinning it with Reducer 265. I discovered yesterday that my O-rings are about shot. I need to find a gentler thinner.

I'll try your method on my next shot of Dullcoat.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP