_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
OPINION: Online Hobby Shop
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm new here, a military modeler at heart but dabble in a bit of everything -- cars, sci-fi, etc. I have my local hobby shop and some online sites I go to, but I was curious to gauge people's opinions on some of the popular online hobby shops, along with what everyone likes and doesn't like about them. Would love if you all could pitch in and let me know what you all think about the following:

Squadron

Sprue Brothers

MegaHobby

Freetime

Scale Hobbyist

I can go first:

Squadron:

Pros- Great prices and sales

Cons- Very little inventory, take forever to ship

Sprue Brothers:

Pros- incredible shipping time, cool military items, great customer service

Cons- Not a lot of inventory to choose from, only a few thousand items and very poor selection of paints, supplies, etc.

MegaHobby:

Pros- Tons of items in every category, great customer service, good shipping time

Cons- Prices are a bit higher than other sites

Freetime:

Pros- Great shipping time, good prices

Cons- So-so selection

Scale Hobbyist:

Pros- Great prices, good selection

Cons- Slow shipping time, possibly slowest of this group

Looking forward to seeing all of your opinions and sharing some new sites!

-Scott
tha_militant
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:34 AM UTC
I love scalehobbyist cheap and is in my state tax free for everyone as well

never ordered from squadron

mega hobby is alright but some things are more pricey there and shipping is high

spruebrothers was my go to place but they didn't replace some mig filters after mig usa referred me to them so I stick with scalehobbyist

I have also had vallejo and AK interactive replace and ship for free paint that had bad lot numbers great service as well
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC
http://www.redfroghobbies.com/

Very good with accessories,AM,and weathering products.
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've never been a fan of Red Frog, I met them at a few hobby shows and I got nothing but attitude from them when asking questions about a product I was interested in buying. Their site fine, but I can get the same items anywhere else for the same price, and I don't have to deal with their bad service.
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love scalehobbyist cheap and is in my state tax free for everyone as well

never ordered from squadron

mega hobby is alright but some things are more pricey there and shipping is high

spruebrothers was my go to place but they didn't replace some mig filters after mig usa referred me to them so I stick with scalehobbyist

I have also had vallejo and AK interactive replace and ship for free paint that had bad lot numbers great service as well

I've always found that strange that Sprue Brothers didn't carry AMMO, but MegaHobby has the entire line. Scale Hobbyist is also very good, fantastic service. Shipping speed is sometimes slow, but they're generally very good.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've never been a fan of Red Frog, I met them at a few hobby shows and I got nothing but attitude from them when asking questions about a product I was interested in buying. Their site fine, but I can get the same items anywhere else for the same price, and I don't have to deal with their bad service.

Yes,I also met them at Armorcon in Connecticut,never no problems,oh well.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
My #1 online store is Sprue Brothers.
Pros:They have fantastic inventory of kits with new items every day. AM parts, paints, and modeling tools. Shipping is always less then 24 hours. Real time inventory is a major plus for me. They also offer several options for shipping. And for me, there has always been great customer service.
Cons: NOt really Cons but not Pros either. They're not the cheapest but their prices are more then fair. They don't carry AMMO products, nor every line of paint. But no one can.

ScaleHobbyist.com
Pro. Nice selection of kits and few lines of paint. Excellent prices
Con. Little in the way of AM parts, which most of the time means ordering from Sprue Brothers for what else I need. Shipping is way too long compared to other online big time retailers. I only use them when Sprue Brothers doesn't have what I'm looking for, which isn't very often.
Squadron
Pros. better prices with new owners. Nice sales. Limited AM selection.
Cons. Inventory levels are low and incomplete. I've yet to order from them since they bought the company.

As a note on RedFrog Hobbies, I've emailed them a few times about picking my orders up rather then shipping since I live less then 5 miles from them. Never heard back from them. I've also ordered kits from them several years ago when I was into race cars. The orders always took weeks to arrive with back orders. Almost seamed like they had to go to a distributor to complete the orders, which adds a longer waiting time.

Joel
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pros:They have fantastic inventory of kits with new items every day. AM parts, paints, and modeling tools. Shipping is always less then 24 hours. Real time inventory is a major plus for me. They also offer several options for shipping. And for me, there has always been great customer service.
Cons: NOt really Cons but not Pros either. They're not the cheapest but their prices are more then fair. They don't carry AMMO products, nor every line of paint. But no one can.

ScaleHobbyist.com
Con. Little in the way of AM parts, which most of the time means ordering from Sprue Brothers for what else I need. Shipping is way too long compared to other online big time retailers. I only use them when Sprue Brothers doesn't have what I'm looking for, which isn't very often.
Squadron
Cons. Inventory levels are low and incomplete. I've yet to order from them since they bought the company.

As a note on RedFrog Hobbies, I've emailed them a few times about picking my orders up rather then shipping since I live less then 5 miles from them. Never heard back from them. I've also ordered kits from them several years ago when I was into race cars. The orders always took weeks to arrive with back orders. Almost seamed like they had to go to a distributor to complete the orders, which adds a longer waiting time.

Joel

Joel, when you can't find something on Sprue, try MegaHobby's site, they carry nearly every brand of paint, and AMMO. And they ship quicker than Scale Hobbyist.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

ScaleHobbyist.com
Squadron

Joel

Joel, when you can't find something on Sprue, try MegaHobby's site, they carry nearly every brand of paint, and AMMO. And they ship quicker than Scale Hobbyist.

Scott,
Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out right now.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:07 AM UTC
Scott,
Just spent some quality time on the Megahobby site. At least for me I had a hard time navigating around, and often had to back track to get where I wanted to go.

I was really impressed with their kit and paint selections. but I struggled to find AM decals and parts for a specific aircraft. I'm sure that they have a lot more product that I was able to find. But I'm certainly going to place a few orders with them as soon as I need to. 1st up is some AMMO Acrylic panel washes, and washes.

Joel
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
Joel,

Interesting that you mention that, I've heard that from others before, but personally I've never really had an issue navigating and I'm always curious of others' opinions. Where did you find it difficult?

And regarding AM parts, just between Eduard and Aires there are probably 10,000 items in existence, so I always find it difficult to find the exact part I want, especially on Mega's site where they carry everything. But after enough digging I can usually find it -- just takes a while sometimes. Not that I'm averse to spending a few hours on a hobby site

Scott
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
First one that comes to mind is Scale Hobbyist

Pros:
• Very clean webpage design … easy to navigate.
• Product images are legible.
• Product images appear on the first click and sub images cycle within the link when clicked … no need to wait for pop-ups.
• Concise product descriptions and some bonus history bits are provided.
• Excellent search engine. Search by name, scale, country, era, etc. Results appear in a grid opposed to a single column.
• Large inventory.
• Watch List & Notification List.
• Good prices.
• Order tracking.
• Reasonable shipping charges.
• Excellent customer service.

Cons:
• Aftermarket … not as well stocked as some other sites.

Neutral:
• Order preparation/delivery times. I'm actually okay with this. However, I have noticed some delays whenever UPS packages are handed-off to USPS for final delivery.

Note: I’m merely a customer and not affiliated with the company.

—mike
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Interesting that you mention that, I've heard that from others before, but personally I've never really had an issue navigating and I'm always curious of others' opinions. Where did you find it difficult?

And regarding AM parts, just between Eduard and Aires there are probably 10,000 items in existence, so I always find it difficult to find the exact part I want, especially on Mega's site where they carry everything. But after enough digging I can usually find it -- just takes a while sometimes. Not that I'm averse to spending a few hours on a hobby site

Scott

Scott,
I'm a big time Sprue Brothers customer, so I guess I'm measuring it up against their site's layout.

If you type in F6F-3 on the SB site, you'll get every model in every scale, and all the AM parts, decals, etc. Then if I clicked on the Eduard 1/48 F6F-3 up came every AM part for it as well. Not so on the Mega site.

There seems to be more links to follow to get where you think you should already be. I clicked paint shop, then Badger, and get air brush parts 1st. I didn't want air brush parts, just their new Acrylic line.

Decals were really confusing. I typed decals and nothing came up but a few sheets. So I typed 1/48 scale decals, and a lot came up. As I narrowed down my search the results were more meaningful, but you really need to know what you're looking for.

Agreed that they have thousands of Aires and Eduards AM parts, but I'm a big Quickboost user.

I'm more then thrilled that I have a resource for AMMO and AK acrylic paints, washes, and primers. They actually have a larger paint selection then Sprue Brothers, which is the largest one I've seen to date.

Like I said, I'll be spending more time on their site to get a better understanding of how it works, and I'll be ordering from them. I like to order everything for a up coming build including the model if I don't have it at one time, and form once resource. The PV-1 build ended up having orders from 4 or 5 resources with DMolds being located in Russia.

Joel
Scottman22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:45 AM UTC
Interesting to hear that, I guess you're right -- I don't buy as many AM parts so maybe I never noticed. But yeah their paint store, along with AMMO and AK, is a keeper for sure.
 _GOTOTOP