_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Scale vent mesh, rope, netting etc
Jo90UK
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hiya. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this query.

Im about to start building a Tamiya AusfA Panther. I haven;t built a kit in ages (mainly play with remote control cars) but would like to make the most of doing the build.

Rather than just leave the kit as it comes im looking to try and get a better scale appearence from it. I have looked around the net and found alot of manufacturers who produce great looking scale parts for diorama and to update the standard kit. However I was wondering if anyone has found items that are cheaper to buy but have the same effect ?

Im looking for wire mesh to use over the vents on the engine bay. I thought about using bodyshop mesh repair but it looks a bit to large compared to the finer etched items. Has anyone found a good mesh to use thats cheap ?

Ropes I can find fairly easy however I wondered what people use to make them 'fix' in position. I remember once using white glue in a bit of water, but the rope almost lost its texture in a way. What do others recomend ?

Last of all camoflage netting. There are some great shops again on the net that have this but again wondered if anyone found something similar, and cheaper at all ?

As you can tell im trying to build the tank, and eventually the diorama on a budget. Ideally id like to see if i can complete the project for under £40-£50 (to include the kit which i have, £14.99, updates for the kit, diaroma base and materials to produce a simple scene).

Any help is really appreciated and any tips greatfully received.

Thanks

John
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
First of all, welcome back. To keep string from fraying, coat it in a hard wax. Just run it back and forth over the corner of a block of wax. Beeswax is the favored medium, but parafin will work. You can use cheese cloth or medical gauze for camo netting. If you search eBay for mesh, you will find several patterns of scale mesh(usually brass). I hope this helps.
Jo90UK
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
Thanks very much
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 7,600 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 07:47 PM UTC
Most, if not all, camo netting packaged by various manufacturers, is nothing more than dyed cheesecloth, or surgical gauze, being sold at several times the cost of the plain item in a supermarket. A package of cheesecloth at the supermarket will cost a few dollars, and there will be enough for over a dozen models. You just have to dye it yourself, or paint with white glue/color mix when positioning it. As for mesh, various sizes bridal veil, etc, material can be found in DIY material/sewing stores, and sold by the yard/meter. Some of this stuff is stiff enough not to sag.
 _GOTOTOP