_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How do you "stash" your stash?
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:23 PM UTC
So it occurred to me yesterday as I was adding yet another 5 tier shelf to the wall of unbuilt kits that I own, that I have never found a really good way to stash my stash and be able to easily see what I have! I changed it around from storing by type of subject to type of manufacturer yesterday and I am not sure what I like better.... here are a couple before and afters.

Before...

annd after arranging them into manufacturers....

What does everyone else do to stash the stash?
wrc3028341
Visit this Community
Hebei, China / 简体
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:45 PM UTC
THEY ARE EVERYWHERE IN MY HOUSE.

My gf is kinda upset about it cuz I just pile up all my boxes anywhere that I find place. behind sofa. any corner of the room, in the closet, outside closet, garage etc....
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:26 PM UTC
I use the model shops to hold my infinite stash, then i can just go get whatever i want for free!

..i wish Ive only got a small pile on the floor.. oh and that other small pile with some card board over it to keep any dust off... and i just realised i have some "stuff" to clear off the dining table.. and a few bits of aluminium in hall..on couch.. kitchen ... oh damn i sound like i have serious plastic problem.. and i didnt even realise until now ...Oh and this droid storage thing: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/229757#1935272 umm... and i have some boxes in a spare room.. i actually have a "model room" so i dont know how ive got this bad tbh hahaaaaaaa!

I have plans for maybe a cheap wardrobe, that way i can use space similar to you but keep dust off the many open boxes of part used kits/bits/spares i have, which will make a cleaner place to paint too.

I liked your stash better to start with, the boxes all flat, is that better for them too? either way i find i can see the pictures better on them, i doo like box art.. and id rather organise ( not that i do now obviously ) by type of model, like all tanks, all planes etc, then maybe if i had a stash as big as yours i might need to organise further by age/type of subject.

So far (famous last words) my garage has survived
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
I store my stash by country the kit is labeled under - i.e. British, IDF, Russian, etc. I keep my inventory on a simple Excellent spread sheet which includes what I paid for the items (and should never fall into the hands of SWMBO unless I'm dead). For me the more difficult task is keeping track of and storing the after market items. I try keeping them with the intended kit but it doesn't always work well.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC
I live in a 2 bedroom condo. The back bedroom is where I do my modeling. The closet in that room is filled to the ceiling with kits that are in corrugated boxes. A bunch of kits stacked on top of each other will collapse under their own weight. My basement storage locker is also filled with kits stored in the same way. Every box has a list of what's inside written on the end. Manufacturer, the kit & number and a big S if started after it's name. Each box has a big letter written on it(I'm up to JJ or 36 boxes). I have a note book that tells me what's in each box and comments like , "started, needs interior painted or completed needs painting, ect".
Say I want to start Dragon's Pz II I look in the notebook and find that it's stashed in box "P". Anyway, that's how I do it.
Have a good weekend all !
Tom
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:42 AM UTC
I have a relatively small stash and I like being able to see the box art (full or empty), so I store my kits display style in das Panzerwerks. Some of my completed kits/dioramas are currently stored safely away in plastic boxes.

I keep track of inventory in an Excel spreadsheet: Manufacture, Model, Scale, Assembly Time, Painting/Weathering Time, Start/Completion Date, Total Build Time. In addition, I categorize my builds in a photo database: Country, Vehicle Type, Dioramas, Figures, Aftermarket, Reference Photos.

—mike

PS: Tom, you might recognize a few of these kits (almost the entire shelf in the first image) … from your stash to mine!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:36 PM UTC
Mine's on a kanban system.

I start by buying 2 kits, and while the first is WIP, the replacement's on order........
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
Mike you've got it backwards-the FINISHED kits are supposed to be on the shelf!
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:37 AM UTC
Heres pics of most of mine, i need to reclaim my floor and get better organised

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/182797&ord=&page=6
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike you've got it backwards-the FINISHED kits are supposed to be on the shelf!

Movie quote from 'The Usual Suspects.'

..."Yeah but it all has a system Dave ... all makes sense when you look at it right" ...

So, one of these days, I might just pull the finished kits out of the storage containers and display them in another room where they'll be safe from me when I work. Note that the 'Post-it note' says "WATCH YOUR HEAD, DUMMY!"

Cheers!
—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:09 AM UTC
As luck would have it, shortly after my last post, I had to hastily move the entire Panzerwerks to a new address.

Ultimately, this turned out to be a very positive move. I downsized from a three-bedroom, three-level condo w/basement & garage (28 steps), to a two-bedroom apartment w/carport and only eight steps to climb — everything is on one level now!

So, here’s how I “stash my stash” these days. No more box art display shelves but still only 21 unbuilt vehicle kits and approximately 27 unbuilt figure kits to deal with.

Cheers!
—mike
 _GOTOTOP