_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dora railgun in 1:35
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
Here you go guys have a look at this

Dora

Have fun
Pete
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
YIKES, that is huge. iwish dragon made this. that would be really cool
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Tazz
If you think thats big look here

Bigger Dora

Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi. Looks go to me. Let's get Trumpeter to come out with it and hope they do as good a job on this as they did on their K5 kit. I'll go for it.

Take care, Sgirty
Cactus911
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC
I don't understand the strategic or tactical value of such a large platform if it needs to have two sets of railway tracks to operate. It is such a huge inviting target to any hostiles around, as well.

Well, it seems the Germans were enamored with making huge unwieldy weapons when greater numbers of something simpler might have helped more.

That said, these things make incredible models! People just look at it and say "no way!"

Stephen
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi. I think you have to look at these weapons from the time span involved. They represented the ' ballistic missles' of their age. They could fire their rounds the farthest distance to reach inside the enemy's territory and cause destruction, hopefully to some vital target. If not, they at least represented the 'terror weapon' of the time period. And Germany wasn't the only country in love with the concept of the 'rail gun' theory. They just took the concept the farthest along the line. And the Dora did do some major destruction in the battle of Sevastopol in '42.

But even by then, thanks to the ever-growing use of air power, they had basically lost their 'edge' as a delivery system of destruction to the enemy. But the military of most all countries down through history are usually the most conservative minded people of any nation and have to be really pushed hard by current and future events before they will switch systems for the proverbial 'new.'

This is a fantastic weapon and it would be a 'feather-in-the-cap,' at least I would thing, of any model company that can make a kit of it and do a really nice job, to offer to the modeling public. The only thing is, can it be a profitable kit to produce, within a reasonable price range for the average modeler? This is the real question. Hopefully it can be solved in the near future. If it's ever done, my bets are on Trumpeter to do it.

Take care, Sgirty
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:39 AM UTC
hi all,
when i first saw photos of this gun about five years ago it was hard to believe that anyone would attempt a project of the magnitude, but boy was i surprised. this model completely blew me away and the depth to which the builder(s) went to amazed me. to bad it could not be massed produced for public consumption, the cost and size put my dream kit in the realm of fantasy. OH WELL! boo-hoo and other blubbering sounds. i can still dream.

Chris
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
it really is a monster one way of keeping cats out the garden one case of a kit destroying a cat not the other way about I dont think it'll be too long before one of these pops up in 1/35 scale matter of fact I'm off to trumpeters site now #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)

Ive just emailed trumpeter about making one so who knows watch this space
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
Perhaps we should all email Trumpeter? And then go and get second mortgages?

Good Idea though
regards
Pete :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC

If it was under $500.00 I'd buy one!

Tread.

So, mikeli, tell Trumpeter you have at least one buyer. ;-)
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Dang! That's a big kit!

Ya really think somebody will produce a real kit like that!

Where the heck would ya put it?

I'm impressed.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi. I was just up to the local hobby store this afternoon and was talking to the guy who I usualy get my models off of, and happened to mention the fact that on this site a few folks had been commenting on the possibility of somebody bringing out this kit in the future. He told me that he has heard this before from some others and also from some of the little things that they get from the different suppliers about kits wanted by the general modeling public.

So, maybe........ Who can really say at this point in time what can happen. I'd say it's a definite posibility in a year or so. Good Lord, this may mean I'm going to have to get a taller bed here one of these days to store this thing under!!!!!! #:-)

Take care, Sgirty
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 09:34 PM UTC
As Gomer would have said back in the days of my youth, SHAZAMM!!! #:-) #:-) #:-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. I was just up to the local hobby store this afternoon and was talking to the guy who I usualy get my models off of, and happened to mention the fact that on this site a few folks had been commenting on the possibility of somebody bringing out this kit in the future. He told me that he has heard this before from some others and also from some of the little things that they get from the different suppliers about kits wanted by the general modeling public.

So, maybe........ Who can really say at this point in time what can happen. I'd say it's a definite posibility in a year or so. Good Lord, this may mean I'm going to have to get a taller bed here one of these days to store this thing under!!!!!! #:-)

Take care, Sgirty

Good news! I would get one also wonder how big the box would be,might need a ladder to get up on that bed
 _GOTOTOP