_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Chopped top VW Bug
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi all. I want to build a VW bug rat rod with a chopped top. I have never attempted this, but its seems like it would be a bit more difficult than, a 34 Ford pick-up. With the rounded roof I'm guessing there's more to it then just cutting thru the pillars. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:53 AM UTC
Seen it done in RL and you have to cut the roof into 4 or 6 parts once lengthwise down the centre and once or twice acroll the width then add fillets between each section. A chopped bug roof is actually wider than std. By Bug I take it you mean a real VW Beetle and not one of those modern water pumpers?

You may get away with reshaping the roof lengthwise instead of cutting it. To be honest I'm not sure, plastic is easier to reshape than steel of course but the lengthwise fillet is a deffo with a suggested wider one under to restore strength.

Hope this helps. Keith
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:37 AM UTC
Thanks, Keith. I've been watching some videos on You Tube. Seen it done a couple of different ways. You are right about it taking at least a couple of cuts going both ways. I think the hard part will be getting all back together without it looking lopsided. Hopefully I can find a cheap bug kit on ebay so that if I butcher it I wont be out too much money. And yes, I want to build an older rear engined Beetle.

hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:28 AM UTC
In what scale are you looking at? If I recall either Revell or AMT had a rag top bug in 1/25.
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In what scale are you looking at? If I recall either Revell or AMT had a rag top bug in 1/25.

Oops, I realised you meant chopped top in hot rod terms and not literally chopping the top off.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 07:45 AM UTC
I saw one a few months ago at Ft. Carson. The cool thing about it was that no attempt was made to curve it all. It was made up of several smaller triangular and rectangular plates. It was symmetrical though. The welds were not ground down, and the whole thing was in bare metal. It's the coolest looking vehicle I've seen in a while, and way less work went into than a standard chop job.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My favorite search for model kits is
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagory.php

For kits of the old beetle, you have:
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/Model_Cars/browse.php?s=0&t=11&u=0&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&make=61&ct=3
They all appear to be in 1/24 currently. Prices ranging from $19 to $30.
Cool concept. I look forward to seeing it develop!
-Sean H.
 _GOTOTOP