Post your general item needs here.
US armor decals needed from Iraq war
billcart
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 07:22 AM UTC
I am in need of 1/35 scale decals for armor in Iraq war etc. I want to convert a NATO MLRS to a US military vehicle. Thanks billcart
Removed by original poster on 08/05/15 - 12:46:10 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 08/05/15 - 12:44:37 (GMT).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
I don't know of any MLRS decals available for OIF. You should be able to piece them together from other sets though.

I was the commander of A Btry (TAB), 1-39 FA (MLRS), 3 ID in the initial invasion of Iraq. Our launchers had the following bumper numbers:

On the left (Division and Bn)
3 ID 1-39 F

Right side (BTRY and Vehicle #, B-D were firing Batteries, launchers were 11-13 and 21-23, 3 vehicles per PLT, 6 per BTRY)
B 11
C 23
D 12
etc..

They also had the 3 ID Bn/Btry ID numbers on the side of the LLM. B Btry was 42, C Btry 43, and D Btry 44.

There was also the PLT ID Chevron on them around the BN ID #. The direction the chervon points denotes the PLT. Up (^) was 1 PLT, RT (>) 2 PLT, down (v) 3 PLT, and LT ( < ) 4 PLT.

There was also a Phoenix (Bn callsign) rising from fire painted in red on both sides of the engine compartment.

This is a launcher from our D Btry. They had a lion painted on the sides of the engine compartment since they were a round-out battery from Ft Sill, OK (C/3-13 FA (MLRS)). They were not usually part of the Bn.

Depedning on which kit you have (original M270 or the newer M270A1), there are changes you will have to make to depict an OIF M270. First is the tracks. It should have the newer square block track as opposed to the old, triangle block that is in both kits. AFV Club makes two sets that will work; indi-link plastic (35133), and rubber band ones (35271)(you may need two sets of the rubber ones since an M270 is longer than a Bradley). Next is the grab handle around the TC's hatch on the roof. This needs to be added from 0.030 rod. Also, do not add the grab handles on the front above the windows. Lastly, there are two (one per side) HALON fire exstinguisher boxes added on the cab sides near the top rear, just in front of the antennas. You should also add the mudflaps (front and rear), as all M270s have them.

All these features are shown below.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else. Be sure to post pics of it once you get started too.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 04:45 AM UTC
Here is a pic of the Phoenix rising out of fire w/crossed cannons below it. This was my HMMWV, A6, in Kuwait before we moved north.

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:41 AM UTC
What is sitting on top of the cab of the hmmwv Gino?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
We acquired a large wooden shipping crate/box that we strapped to the roof to hold BII, water, MREs, etc. We called it the coffin since it was long and narrow. I can post a wider angle pic of the whole truck later (without the finger in the shot).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC
Here are a couple overall shots of my HMMWV, A6. You can see the coffin on top. We also carried a spare tire up top. It was originally over the back part, but started breaking the aluminum bow that held up the canvas. We later moved it to the side of the box over the stronger B and C pillar supports.

Here it is during the sandstorm in early April '03. That's me at the hood. You can see the relocated spare tire here. We also added a fuel/water can holder on either side of the rear behind the rear wheels.

_GOTOTOP