_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Buying Tips
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
In today's hobby market, it's getting really hard to figure out what kit is in the "latest" box on the shelf. Italeri reboxes DML kits, Revell of Germany reboxes Italeri kits, old Academy kits are Tamiya copies, some "new" Tamiya kits are old with new figures, some Trumpeter kits aren't worth the glue to be used, some Trumpeter kits are the best things going. The variations go on and on. (Don't beleive me? I can give specific instances.)

Fortunately, we have the internet and its vast resources. This includes online kit reviews found on most modeling newsgroups and forums. Additionally some of the modeling magazines cover the new releases before they hit the shelves and have online archives full of kit reviews.

One of the best sources for information I have found is people just like me. In this forum alone, we probably have a large enough group that we have owned or built just about any armor kit on the market. I learned by watching posts on rec.models.scale, Missing Links, Hyperscale, AOL Scale Model board, Kithobbyist and here, among others.

Other lessons were learned the hard way (by buying the kit) like Wasan=Trumpeter and early Trumpeter=waste of money. Although this company came a long way in a short period of time (T-55 series, M1 series).

Any way, before you make a big purchase, it never hurts to shop around for the best price, right? And ask about a particular kit. It may be that there is a better kit of it, the same kit may be available in a different box and a little cheaper, or that you may be better off carving one yourself out of a bar of soap
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
#:-) Thanks Rob: I just might try that...LOL (Carving one out of Soap ) Anyway good thread. Your insight and ideas are of great help.

DAGGER-1
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:27 AM UTC
Ahmen Rob !
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
This thread, together with the recent "worst model ever bought" thread has made my mind up, not just to impulse buy a kit that looks good on the shelf. Ive noticed recently in hobby shops near me that it seems that a lot of these older version kits are laying around there as serious modellers are not buying them, leaving them for suckers like me. As you said, it doesnt take long to do a quick search on these sites to check it out first. Good tip old chap!
 _GOTOTOP