Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
How to get feedback about a blog?
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC
Dear all,

Not sure where to post this, so this comes here. I've been doing a modelling blog for some while now, and would like to get both feedback, and some regular readership.

Where best to post the blog to introduce it to people, and to generate some discussion on it?

spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
...actually... how do you get feedback at all?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
If the Blog is marked as such and is written in an interesting way along with your fine modelling skills you should attract a following. Also it needs to be placed in a forum where it belongs. That said with youir skills I see no reason why it would not attract attention.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
entire network: 1,049 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hi Andras

Checked out your blog and you've got some very nice stuff in there. Esp liked your 251 series of models and the silly putty masking in action.

Blogging can be an interesting experience. What you get out of them almost depends on why you're doing it in the first place. I tend to use mine to sort of save and organise my projects as much as anything else. It's also a place my customers can check out my work and theirs ...

As for traffic and feedback, you definitely have to advertise it or make sure that when you post on forums it's linked into your signature, that'll get you some more views at least.

And in general terms Blogs or forum posts have a hugely skewed view vrs comment ratio. For example my Blog has had about 130k hits and only about 200 comments so don't panic. I know I'm guilty too, I go looking for some info, view it and move on. So I've been putting more effort into commenting on what I view, esp if I get info or pics from it. Attempting to try and be supportive, both to the posters and to the forum or Blog. If more did that we'd all feel a little less ...... singular.

Finally it looks like most of your interest is in 20mm at the moment, I hate to suggest other forums but the Braille forum here unfortunately isn't very active, this is much more of a 1/35th realm and more news orientated (in fact controversy threads on new or unreleased models get far more views and comments than any kit postings I've ever seen). I post on several other forums including this one (about 4 regularly) that cater to different subjects and where you tend to get more focused interest and feedback. (I've PM'd you where else I post my 20mm).

Hope this is of some help .... and keep blogging!

cheers
Brent
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:12 AM UTC
Dear Darren,

Thank you for answering; should I just put up a link in the blog section?

Dear Brent,

Thank you for the answer as well It seems like small-scale modellers are not taken seriously enough? Outrageous...
I'm not even sure why I'm blogging, by the way. I think mostly just to organize what I do; perhaps to collect them into one place where I can just look them over with misty eyes.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your feedback. I think I'll just advertise each new post with a couple of photos and a new topic.

Best,

Andras