H&S Ultra - Settig the needle travel distance
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm currently planning to upgrade my current "20 Euro" airbrush to something that would allow me to free-hand-paint camos even in 1:72.

The initial selection was including the Iwata Neo CN and the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra. After reading up on both of them, comparing prices and watching some review videos I decided to go the H&S Ultra route.

Still, there is one thing that kind of bothers me about the H&S line of airbrushes... My Chinese brush has a screw at its end that I'm able to use to limit the needle travel and thus fine-control the air/paint flow. Not having used any other double-action brush before I was taking this feature as granted and made massive use of it. However, a comparable feature seems to be completely missing in the H&S series. Am I supposed to rely on the finesse and precision of my finger when pulling back on the trigger? There is really no mechanical support for this?

While we are still at it, do you think the Ultra is a good choice for a tool if I don't want to break the $100 price barrier?

Many thanks in advance!
Cristian
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi,
I am afraid you can not... I find it also quite useful so I went for the Evolution Silverline.

The Infinity has it as well but that's another (costly) world.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
If you have the money, you should spring for the Custom Micron Iwata. Best ab out there, in my opinion.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thank you guys!

As I mentioned, I'd like to limit the budget to a certain amount so going above is currently not an option since I know I won't be using it that often.

Cheers,
Cristian
 _GOTOTOP