_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Rescribing Panel Lines
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:43 AM UTC
Alrighty... I've got my Hurri body all put together. I've had to fill and sand a few spots around the model (fuselage to cockpit area of course) and its obscured the panel lines.

So, what's the best way to go about rescribing these lines?

Thanks much!

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi Azarius,

You need two items for scribing/rescribing panel lines - A scribing tool and something to guide the tool. I use either the back (non-cutting) edge of a No 11 Exacto Blade for minor repairs ot the Squadron Shop Scribing tool. To guide the tool for straight panel lines I use embossing tape that goes in label guns. I buy generic brand at office supply stores. Lay the guide along the panel you want ro scribe/rescribe, then lightly graw the scribing tool along the line. More light draws are better than one too heavy draw. Compare the new line to the old and repeat till your are pleased with the results. Some scribing tools will actually remove the material from the line, while others will simply displace the material along the line. Check your line under good light to see if you may have to lightly sand to get rid of displaced material. Practice on an old model (although different companies plastics react differently) and take your time. Make a mistake, fill it back in, and when cured, retry.

For panel lines on access plates you can either cut out scribing guides or purchase some of the pre-made guides on the market. I have purchased a number of drafting templates at a office supply store or a craft store. You can get them with squares. circles, ovals etc. They are usually too big to place directly onto the model, but you can use them to cut templates from heavy tape, plastic sheet or some other appropriate material.

Someone else might be able to tell you where to get the custom-made scribing templattes

Hope this meets your needs and enjoy finishing the Hurricane. :-)
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
Thanks Ranger!

What does a scribing tool look like actually?
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
A scribing tool looks like a dental pick with the end ground flat slightly and then ground on the sides to resemble an upside down "V". Essentially, you are pulling against the plastic with the flat part of the "V".

I also use the labeling tape. I usually cut it in half (down the middle/lengthwise). I can typically use the same piece two to three times before I have to use another piece. I have a scribing template, but rairly use it.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 05:35 PM UTC
I use an Olfa scribber which is very nice but needs calm handling and good guidance
 _GOTOTOP