_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
newbie in armor modeling!
DGdarien
Visit this Community
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hey guys and gals. I'm new to this site, and I came across is while my interest in armor and figures modeling was sparked. i have only made a couple model cars before, and I saw how creative armor modeling could be. I have yet to make anything yet but I purchased a Tamiya german assault troops, BMW r/75 sidecar motorcycle, and a german swimmwagen.

So anything a newbie should know before attempting to assemble his own vehicles, figures and a diorama? :-)
Army
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 03:01 PM UTC
Welcome aboard.....Make sure you get reference photos for realism
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC
Welcome to the site. If you have the new Tamiya Schwimmwagen (#35224) that is an outstanding kit, best Schwimmwagen out there. If you picked up the old one (#35003), it will be a good practice kit, just don't expect a contest winner.

I would get some online references on the Schwimmer, there aren't enough kits out there to warrant buying a book for reference, unless you get a generic German vehicle book. Most of the pictures in these books are in black and white, so it wont help you too much in painting.

But, for your first armor kit, I would just use the internet sites and build the kit straight out-of-box. Do the normal detailing like drilling out the exhaust pipes with the tip of an X-Acto knife or pin drill. Same deal witn any large caliber machine gun barrels. Some people glue tissue paper to the plastic seat cushions to give them a real canvas look.

Best thing to do is to have fun!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 07:33 PM UTC
welcome tp the hobby the important thing is to have fun with it
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 07:42 PM UTC
As im a beginner myself, I have one hint. Read as much as you can from sites like this, Missing links and Docs dios. You can pick up lots of tips and hints, and even a beginner can come up with a top model. I have seen lots of first time dios and they have been outstanding, as they have learnt all the necessary tricks. Every detail has tips. Just search for them. Tyres, painting, rust, weathering, colours, stowage, and then the dio itself has countless topics. I try to incorporate a new trick or tip into everything I do. As said before, practice and practise, but also dont be afraid to experiment. At the end of the day the only person you need to keep happy is yourself. if you like what you´ve done, you´re onto a winner.... at least for your own satisfaction.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC
Welcome to the hole in your pocket and armor geekdom. But truly whether your building for fun, a sence of history or just pain fun, always remember to enjoy yourself. Theres a whole lot a good people here to help ya, so sound off if you need advice or just come in chat.

Welcome
Josh
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
Remember - It's a constant learning process that builds on itself. All of the information on these sites is truely AWSOME. When you go to apply it remember that practice and patience are the keys! I keep some of my early flops around just to remind myself of how far I have come.
Don't be afraid to ask a question!
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
As a beginner myself I would just suggest to learn as much as you possibly can, and to have as much fun as you possoibly can. There is no limit to how much you can learn from this and many other sites. But don't stay on this site too much, you can and probably will get addicted to it. Keep having fun and always keep us updated on your progess.

Mark
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:50 AM UTC
I have been modeling for about 14 years (seriously for about 2) and my one piece of advice is...READ, READ, READ.

Also, absorb everything you hear from other experienced modelers. This is the best way to learn. And ask a lot of questions, worst case scenerio, the other person will tell you to bugger off. hehehehe

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi!
Welcome to this amazing site and hobby (the Armor thing )
I built an BMW R75 from Tamiya, and there is a lot of room to make improvements, so good references are a must.
Sabot, has said for the schiwimmwagen...
For making a dio, first yu have to chose where they're suppose to be (time, region, etc.) and along with some reference, just try to replicate what you want, simple?
And enjoy every modeling hour!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
Ive read what everybodys been saying and I agree, to a point.
As this is your first time and just getting started, I wouldnt worry too much about the references, and just concentrate on the modeling part, unless history and historical accuracy is a main interest for you.
As for tips; well, try things and learn, and if you come to a place where you are stuck and think you need some help, then ask on the forums here and you will get help. You can do all the reading in the world, and know the subject but when it comes to the practical stuff, you will have to work up your skill and get acustomed to the modeling part. Best way of learning is to talk to fellow modelers about how they do things and how you do things and come up with a way that works out for you!
Thats my 2¢ of suggestions
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And ask a lot of questions, worst case scenerio, the other person will tell you to bugger off. hehehehe

I'm here for about two months, have read a lot of questions, some of them allready answered in another thread, and even those received answers.

Mainly I never see anyone to be bugged off.

So DGDarien make all the questions you want without hesitations.

For dio here at DOC DIOs you have a good place with hints and tips for building dio.

Hope it helps.
DGdarien
Visit this Community
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
wow thanks for the warm welcome guys :-)

to sabot. I got the old Scwimmwagen I guess, I had no idea Tamiya made different ones. It just looked cool to have on the first diorama I want to make.

mainly I'm interested in the WWII European Theater, so I'll probably try to make a building/rubble scene in a city like Caen with German and Ally infantry.

And since I am new right now, historical correctness isn't absolutely necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't want to put something that was never in Caen, like a Russian snowcamo infantry or something. #:-)

The most intimidating thing to me right now, would have to be the figures and their guns, they're all really small and i don't know yet how to paint such small details well. Also things such as weathering.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
For best results with your figures, you must take your time. Rather than simply painting their skin a generic flesh colour, paint and blend various shades and highlights to bring out the shape of the face. I'm sure a quick search on the internet will give a number of ways to do this. Some people paint faces with artist's oil paints, but for starters, you can just try mixing different shades with regular model paints, though enamel are best. Model Master has three skin tone colours available. In Shep Paine's book, How to Build Dioramas, he describes a good way to paint faces. Also to make it easier for you, though some modelers paint the eyes on their figures, you don't really have to if they are 1/35 or smaller.

Good luck,

Nic
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the old Scwimmwagen I guess, I had no idea Tamiya made different ones..

A couple of the problems the old Schwimmwagen has is that there is no suspesion detail. The tires are litterally held on using a straight plastic axle. The rear axle will require some type of spacer to keep the wheels from sliding back and forth. (I've recently completed one that I started over 12 years ago). I promised I would finish it before I started on my new Tamiya Schwimmwagen. I also added the small bilge pump drain pipes that are seen on the lower chassis just forward of the rear tires (see box top photos). I also hollowed out the shovel head and machine gun barrel.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

wow thanks for the warm welcome guys :-)
mainly I'm interested in the WWII European Theater, so I'll probably try to make a building/rubble scene in a city like Caen with German and Ally infantry.

Look at these threads here in ArmoramA

you have some ideas for your Schwimmwagen

Hope it helps
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 02:15 PM UTC
As a recent returner into model building I am in the same boat. One thing I would tell you is what Sarge (in an above post) already said. I have basicaly done that and it helped more than I can tell you. On the missing link site there is an aticle on finishing with oil paints that has forever changed how I build armor. I don't do it exactly the same way but love oils now. The second thing I would tell you is to listen when Sabot says something. There are some other guys I really look up to and trust also, but I will let you make your own list.
Army
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:16 PM UTC
Welcome aboard! Remember to first and foremost have fun
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
He said, she said, they said....all in a nutshell. Captain Jack wishing you well-come aboard . As for detailing, it all depends on how high you wish to raise the bar. Don't get caught into a rat race, as is sometimes the case. Modelling and having fun are mutually exclusive. You have aslew of experience, or even two slews worth, here on the sight and there are lots of good people to give you advice. Once again welcome along for the ride of a lifetime

The Armorama experience

Jack be fantasmagorical
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

He said, she said, they said....all in a nutshell. Captain Jack wishing you well-come aboard . As for detailing, it all depends on how high you wish to raise the bar. Don't get caught into a rat race, as is sometimes the case. Modelling and having fun are mutually exclusive. You have aslew of experience, or even two slews worth, here on the sight and there are lots of good people to give you advice. Once again welcome along for the ride of a lifetime

The Armorama experience

Jack be fantasmagorical

I am telling you that CaptJack needs a rest here in the states
Welcome aboard thier Dg many people with the answers can be found here.
 _GOTOTOP