_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Photo Etched Parts Brand?
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi all, which Photo Etched Brand (Aber, Passion Model, Voyager, etc.) you find it most user-friendly? I am about to start working with P/E parts but unsure which brand to begin with, hence would like to ask your opinions, thank you!
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 04:18 AM UTC
You ask such difficult questions ! First what are you building ? Next who has a PE set for what you want to build ? If there's more than one supplier search for reviews . Then you can figure out which one you want . PE is not difficult it all depend on what you are capable of ? Sometimes if there's only one manufacturer then you have no other choice .
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You ask such difficult questions ! First what are you building ? Next who has a PE set for what you want to build ? If there's more than one supplier search for reviews . Then you can figure out which one you want . PE is not difficult it all depend on what you are capable of ? Sometimes if there's only one manufacturer then you have no other choice .

Thank you for your reply, for P/E parts I mainly referring to AFV model. ATM I am working with the German Armor car SFkfz222, and found out that both Passion Model and Voyager offer P/E parts for upgrading, and it seems that the Voyager model package is a lot more complicated than the Passion Model's ,just not sure which to go for hence would like to hear other's advises.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:11 AM UTC
I've always bought voyager and I like them . Do you have a PE bending tool . Look at the small shop , lucky model carries them a bit pricy but good and should last you a lifetime . Heck you should be able to will it to your grandkids . You either love PE or will hate it no in betweens . And do you know how to solder ? To me that's the only way to assemble PE . Sure you can use super glue but I think that does not hold . You have to solder . And you will develope patience and perseverance . Either that or you will toss the PE into the garbage can . Make up you mind which one you want to get . And post pictures of your progress . Stay in touch .
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:14 AM UTC
I think passion models comes with a grill on top of the hull for Sdkfz 222 . That might be something to consider .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 12:40 PM UTC
I prefer Griffon, then Voyager. I don't care much for Aber, as it requires scratch building but does not give you dimensions or the appropriate media. ET is easy enough to bend. However, it has little tabs at the connections. These offset the joints. Also, the brass is very thin. I don't work much with Eduard.
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always bought voyager and I like them . Do you have a PE bending tool . Look at the small shop , lucky model carries them a bit pricy but good and should last you a lifetime . Heck you should be able to will it to your grandkids . You either love PE or will hate it no in betweens . And do you know how to solder ? To me that's the only way to assemble PE . Sure you can use super glue but I think that does not hold . You have to solder . And you will develope patience and perseverance . Either that or you will toss the PE into the garbage can . Make up you mind which one you want to get . And post pictures of your progress . Stay in touch .

Thank you for your detailed reply! really appreciated! Regarding to soldering I really have no idea where to begin with, could you kindly give me further advise on this topic? Or perhaps you could suggest some useful website for reference? Thank you!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
Personally I prefer Eduard's PE but Voyager is good too. I've used various other companies stuff as well- Aber is good and Hauler's stuff is nice too. I use PE a fair amount and I don't solder it- only super-glue and it works for me. I reckon for some parts soldering would hold it much better and stop the joins springing apart as sometimes happens but I don't know how to solder, hence why I use super-glue.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:21 AM UTC
Some people seems to be able to put pe togethere with super glue , I just can't , it keeps breaking on me , so i learned to solder . It never comes apart.
hutch2336
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi
Soldering is a "Black Art" but I have found the Adam Wilder PE DVD a must to get you started on soldering.
I do know some Master Builders who only use a flame to solder, but I have found that harder than a variable soldering iron.
I have used all the different makes of PE and they do vary from one to the other and from one kit to another.
AS Edmund said, sometimes there is only one set for the kit you are building so no choice at all, but wit Eduard, if it is the "silver" you sand off on the joints on the mating surfaces to allow for a soldered join, otherwise they are all much the same.
It is a continual learning curve becoming a competent solderer but well worth it when you want to inflict battle damage as the joints will not snap open as with superglue.
HTH

Steve H
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
some Master Builders who only use a flame to solder, but I have found that harder than a variable soldering iron.

Touching the tip of the soldering iron to the joint will cause the parts to move. By using a torch, you don't have this problem. However, a torch will burn finer etch away. It is also a good way to de-solder two pieces, given they are not tiny.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 06:12 AM UTC
Don't forget the surface you are working on , it should tolerate heat and not burn .
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 - 12:41 AM UTC
In my opinion Eduard PE is the best for beginners, because they give you multiples of the tiny bits, and it's easy to bend. On the other hand it's difficult to solder because of the coating and some detail is overly simplified and flat (for example hinges are just little squares)
Aber is too complex and as a poster said above, demands scratch building with no dimensions given only a rough outline.
Passion is very good, if you're not all thumbs it's great
Griffon, Voyager and ET (in that order) are great in that they give you all necessary extras, clear instructions, great fit, but you do need some skill in soldering...

HTH
 _GOTOTOP