_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Anti-Reflective glass
funkyzeit
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hey folks, New user here!

I'm taking a break from some Large Scale Aircraft and decided to try some armor. I've seen some models with a fantastic iridescent glass and wondered how to get this if AFV Club doesn't make a set for your kit? Or do they offer just a sheet you can cut yourself? (I couldn't find any)

Though maybe:

Iridescent film (colored or not)
Holographic cellophane

It's for some russian modern armor so it's basically just the regular look ARC, without a red hue like on the Abrahms.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the help.

Justin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 06:24 AM UTC
I don't like the look of the stick on ones. I do it the old fashioned way with paint.

For anti-laser coated (reddish), modern ones, I first paint them flat black. Next I do a coat of clear red (stoplight red), and finally a couple coats of clear gloss. This gives them depth and allows light to reflect off and changes colors at different angles, just like the real thing. They look good to me anyways.

For older "clear" lenses, I start with the same flat black, then a coat of clear green, then the couple coats of clear gloss. This looks like the older, thick lenses where the glass has a green tint.

Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:08 AM UTC
I actually found a color-shifting nail polish that looks pretty decent, with a good red-to-gold shift to it. Unfortunately, I don't have the brand/color at hand right now.
Its biggest drawback is that it's thick, and dries FAST.

From what I've read, Russian AFVs don't have the laser protection treatment on the glass like U.S. armor does. Just basic clear, possibly with a slight greenish tint due to thickness. For that, I use a fair amount of Future (or whatever the current equivalent is) with a very small bit of green food coloring. Go easy on the food coloring since it's very color-dense.
This even works for the windshields of vehicles such as the BTR and BRDM series, but should be OK for anything using safety glass. Since it closely resembles the color of auto glass, it takes a little tweaking to get the right blue/green color, and a little testing to make it faint enough.
funkyzeit
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:17 AM UTC
thanks guys!

Photos of the BMPT would suggest otherwise about them not having the coating. I'll try out those method on a test piece soon
 _GOTOTOP