_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Economy Photo Etch Tool
bigjsd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Can anyone recommend on where to get a photo etch bending tool at a reasonable price? I thought model kits themselves had ridiculous markup but these things are insanely priced. Yikes!! Any help is appreciated, I am in southern California if anyone knows a local dealer, online retailers are fine too.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC
eBay.com , if you must. I find that I use mine very little. Instead, I am constantly using flat tweezers and razor blades.
bigjsd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

eBay.com , if you must. I find that I use mine very little. Instead, I am constantly using flat tweezers and razor blades.

That's what I was thinking, figured for 95% if the stuff I can bend without some special tool. For the price of one of these tools I could buy another model or two. I think I'll wing it and if something too technical comes along I'll grab a cheap import model if the web for an occasional use.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:14 PM UTC
Same here. All simple bends are done with flat nose pliers, for more complex shapes I got the smaller RP Toolz , which is simple and fairly priced
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC
Don't purchase the plastic ones , they may be cheap but they don't stand the abuse and they wear out faster . Now the small shops makes a very nice one but the price is up there , the quality is great .
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC

If you use a lot of PE then bite the bullet and get a commercial bender. It will cost the same as a premium kit. THe tool will be useful on many kits. Once the kit you buy instead of the tool and complete will sit on shelf looking pretty.

If you only use kit provided PE, a 4"X4" piece of glass, a six inch steel ruler and razor blade should do. Generally the bends aren't that complex. If you use expensive AM PE kits which do have complex bends then get a commercial tool.

I have a six inch Hold n Fold and it works very well. It replaced the combo I mentioned. I borrowed a TRumpeter bender and tried it. I liked it and was going to buy one, but scored a Hold and Fold six inch on ebay for less than $40. The Trumpeters are available on eBay for around $35-$40. Seems like a good deal on the Trumpeter.

Final thought: Buy the best you can afford. THey all work well. I'd stay away from the really low end tools.

edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC
Just remember , the cheap ones will work but you get what you pay for .
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:15 AM UTC
John,
Why not make your own? I have made one with scrap aluminum before making notches of different widths and the “cutter” with scraps of plexi glass. I did go on to buy one later when I was on a tool buying spree. However you could make a good one with some plexi or metal ruler and binder clips. Hmmm maybe that will be in my build a tool campaign. Best of luck.

Dan
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:22 AM UTC
I got one in a Japanese LHS that is made of photo-etched (or maybe laser etched) stainless steel. Supposed to have inter-changeable surfaces for different folding needs. I've found it to be all but useless and a huge waste of money.

Removed by original poster on 08/05/15 - 20:02:08 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP