_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
soldering fine brass wire
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
I am trying to solder some brass wire with my Wellers soldering station, also with a fine tip. I am trying to solder the wire to a piece of 1/32 in. thick of brass. As most of you know I am scratch building a complete interior for a Panzer IV J in 1/72nd scale. So now I am trying to build the tureet turntable and its bars that go to the turret and I would like to know how does someone get a very small bead of solder like you would with modeling glue so that it does not look bad? I am getting very frusturated with this task.
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 05:19 AM UTC
Wolf,
Make sure to clean both peices to be soldered. I sand lightly, then wipe with alcohol. Heat both parts being attached, thoroughly. Tin your iron first. Use a fine diameter solder. Just lightly touch the solder to the joint and it should immediately flow into the joint . Don't keep feeding the solder. You should end up with a joint with very little excess solder around it. It takes practice. Good luck and hope this helps a little.
Don
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 06:28 PM UTC
Have you looked into resistance soldering? Check it on the web does not put out a lot of heat and can be soldered right on the model.
Jeff
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you looked into resistance soldering? Check it on the web does not put out a lot of heat and can be soldered right on the model.
Jeff

Sir,
By any chance would you know what the website address is? If it is here where would it be? Thank you. :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC
I have a set of "helping hands" to hold my work. I first sand and clean the brass, then flux the joint. I cut off a small piece of solder, pick it up with the hot tip of the iron, place the solder against the prepared joint, the heat transfers thru the solder to the joint, when everything is at the correct temperature, the solder metls and flows wherever I have fluxed the joint, remove the iron, let joint cool and clean excess solder with file, if required. I used this technigues to build new headlight guards for my ESCI BMP-1, when I lost some of teh plastic parts. If you have more than one joint on the same piece of brass, you will need some heat sinks to keep the previously completed joints from melting. I have some cheap alligator clips to use as heat sinks. I place the clips between any "old work" and the new joint to be soldered.

Jeff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:29 AM UTC
You can probably get what ever tools you need at Micro mark. There wbsite is at ....

http://www.micromark.com
Or you can call for a catalog at 1-800 225-1066 They are pretty helpful and carry alrge selection welding equipment.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thank you for your input. I will try them out. :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff

Sir,
By any chance would you know what the website address is? If it is here where would it be? Thank you. :-)

Will get back to you on it.

http://members.aol.com/deansiding/rsstext.htm

The website details the basics of it. The price is high on this stuff if not used every day would not invest in it.
Gday
Jeff
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am trying to solder some brass wire with my Wellers soldering station, also with a fine tip. I am trying to solder the wire to a piece of 1/32 in. thick of brass. As most of you know I am scratch building a complete interior for a Panzer IV J in 1/72nd scale. So now I am trying to build the tureet turntable and its bars that go to the turret and I would like to know how does someone get a very small bead of solder like you would with modeling glue so that it does not look bad? I am getting very frusturated with this task.

lots of practice.and a lower heat setting
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC
Wolf

Try this make sure your material is clean lightly sand your material ,
use some soldering flux apply it with a small paint brush lower your
heat range. dont for get to tin the tip of your iron. With a little work
you'll find youll get down.