_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Air compressor evaluation
cm7900
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 04:28 AM UTC
Hello guys!

I live in Nicaragua so here is a limited options in terms of compressors for airbrushes, here is the smallest one i could find:

GLADIATOR COMPRESOR 2HP/24LTS MOD:CE324 (CE-524)

I'm planning to conect a Badger airbrush to it.

What you think about it? Overkill?

Best regards.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
If you can get it down to 8-10 psi and still handle the noise, I don't see it an overkill. I have a AirPlus 2 compressor for about 17 years. Getting hard for it to get down to that low of psi and when it does kick in to fill up again it does give you a startle. I have since relegated it to the garage for topping off tires and blowing out computer cases and keyboards (or anything else that needs 100psi). I have since replaced it with a Badger TC910 Aspire Pro. Much quieter and I can get nice low psi when I need to but it will never be able to pump up your car tires.

Cheers
cm7900
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:00 AM UTC
Or maybe something like this, from the USA:

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Compressor-Air-Brush-Decorating/dp/B0049Q4QV0/ref=sr_1_51?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1430182473&sr=1-51&keywords=compressor

or

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Compressor-Holder/dp/B005GMCMJO/ref=sr_1_55?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1430182496&sr=1-55&keywords=compressor
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:20 AM UTC
This is where I am a bit biased with compressors. I need one with a tank. You can control the air better plus they are not always on chugging away where the tank compressors are only on to fill up the tank. Not sure where you are at and if they can ship to you but I might suggest this from Chicago Airbrush (not trying to plug them but it was a good deal for me).
http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/batcasproco.html

If Badger is not your thing, they do carry other brands. But in the long run get one that has a tank. I have had Testors/Aztec and Paashe compressors in the past without a tank and I have not been able to control them well. PLUS you are down there with tons of humidity. Without a tank you better have one good water trap or you will be spitting water with your paint .

Cheers
cm7900
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is where I am a bit biased with compressors. I need one with a tank. You can control the air better plus they are not always on chugging away where the tank compressors are only on to fill up the tank. Not sure where you are at and if they can ship to you but I might suggest this from Chicago Airbrush (not trying to plug them but it was a good deal for me).
http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/batcasproco.html

If Badger is not your thing, they do carry other brands. But in the long run get one that has a tank. I have had Testors/Aztec and Paashe compressors in the past without a tank and I have not been able to control them well. PLUS you are down there with tons of humidity. Without a tank you better have one good water trap or you will be spitting water with your paint .

Cheers

My friend, i'm with you about the tank thing also i could ship about any product i can find in the web; but the issue is that weight is a factor to consider in the shipping cost. For instance that Badger one cost about $150 to land it here.

Is there a budget option you can recommend, i'm thinking about $50?
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:01 AM UTC
I think the compressor would be "usable" as long as you have a decent regulator and water trap. The noise will be your main problem. If I checked correctly then that compressor already has a tank. Since you don't have much choice over there then I guess you could work with it.

An option you might want to consider is placing an airline from your workstation to the garage or wherever you can place the compressor outdoors. That way you can restrict the noise to the outside. Just be sure to have a regulator and water trap on the output end of the air line.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi,
It's absolutely usable, if size and noise are no problem for you, go for it.

I have had one like this for years.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:06 PM UTC
Wow, I guess the shipping issue does put a limit on our choices. I was going to suggest seeing if anything on Ebay would help but you might hit the high shipping there also. Only thing I can say now would be good luck on your endeavor.

Cheers
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
If it's too noisy you could always move it away and run a hose to the compressor .
 _GOTOTOP