_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Which LIGHT to buy.
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
What is the best light to use for painting 1/35 figures? I haver a regular florescent light hanging overhead but it is not quite right. I bought side lights, but too much glare. Any suggestions.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC
The key is multiple lights, and all the same 'color' lights. "daylight" CFL's are cheap these days, so just get 2-3 table swing-arm lamps and you should be good to go. I also like overhead lighting.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC
I swear by Ott-Lites. Have had them for 25 years and won't use anything else. Not only are they daylight balanced, but they are glare free. Great for the eyes and comes with their 10,000 hour bulb. I just bought 3 of their newest desk light, the F48K28, on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M5D1BE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to repalce my old task lamps and they are unbeatable. I also have a 24 watt floor stand Ott-Lite at my shoulder so that I'm never working in shadow. The older I get, the more light I need!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC
LED's are the way to go. I have two desk lamps flanking my build area. And, they aren't too expensive. Another plus is that they don't radiate much head.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
"Daylight" balanced doesn't actually mean much. There's a range of light temperatures that can be construed as daylight. OttLight is a fine product, and I've used their stuff. But it's also a fair amount of marketing hype in my opinion. Sure, there's some range on the various hue balance that can lean one direction or another, but not to the point that it's going to really differ your work from accuracy.

There's also a few things to consider.
1) The 'lamp' itself is just a form factor. The bulb is doing the work.

2) How often do you have your models/figures displayed in daylight conditions? Even at shows, the lighting is barely passable in my experience.

3) Glare is part of the form factor. Glare comes from your eyes getting a direct line of sight to the hottest parts of the bulb. This can typically be fixed by relocating/repositioning the bulb.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:48 AM UTC
For what it's worth, here's my setup. I frequently move lights/arms as needed and/or open blinds to let in natural light whenever available.

X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:32 AM UTC
All good suggestions. I will experiment until I find what works for me. Thanks again.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:36 PM UTC
I recently read on a magazine that you should use the same light source you expect to find at contest tables, to ensure the colours will look the same.

Just my 2 cents,

Carlos
 _GOTOTOP